Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum
2.0i Golf Engine - serious issue, advice needed! - Printable Version

+- Syncro SA - VW Syncro Forum (http://syncrosa.co.za/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Engine - Petrol (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: 2.0i Golf Engine - serious issue, advice needed! (/showthread.php?tid=2844)

2.0i Golf Engine - serious issue, advice needed! - nickgraham - 11-07-2017 09:29 PM

Hi all,

It appears that my 2.0i 2E remtec engine needs an overhaul. Eish.

Here's what happened:
So the engine has long since had a faint ticking sound. A few days ago I stalled suddenly on take off and thought it was just a shortage of petrol. But when I got home the engine was clacking like a tractor. I got a mechanic over to check it wasn't just tappet noise and he confirmed the worst. Noise is definitely coming from the block. He suspects a main bearing or conrod.

So here's the dilemma. He has offered to strip it and if it is just a parts replacement, can do it for me relatively quickly and cheaply. Another opinion I got from a mechanic I have used before said they may have to have to send the crankshaft away for grinding. At a minimum it will be R10k for stripping and rebuilding, plus any parts and machining, so R13-R15k estimate!

At that price, would I not be better off with a new engine? And how likely is it that the crank needs machining?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

RE: 2.0i Golf Engine - serious issue, advice needed! - syncromad - 11-08-2017 06:34 AM

Hi Nick,

just buy a replacement motor from a place like Mikes place, from R7500 to 9500 depending, on who sell,

keep the old motor as spares, or sell off parts to cover some costs,

stuart

RE: 2.0i Golf Engine - serious issue, advice needed! - nickgraham - 11-08-2017 09:54 AM

Thanks, Stuart. Would any of the ADY, AGG work with my set up? Is there any preference for these over the 2E?

Nick

RE: 2.0i Golf Engine - serious issue, advice needed! - nickgraham - 11-10-2017 03:02 PM

Just bought a 2.0i ADY from Mike's place - R7900. Will keep the 2E for spares. Having it fitted on Monday. Crossing fingers it is not a dud.