Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My new big window Syncro
12-21-2013, 04:32 PM
RE: My new big window Syncro
I have saved the pics Stuart posted and added them to a new reply. Can you see them now?

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2013, 07:08 PM
(12-21-2013 04:32 PM)BHM Wrote:  I have saved the pics Stuart posted and added them to a new reply. Can you see them now?

Yes they show now
02-11-2014, 09:46 AM
A bit of an update on the bus. Lots of small changes have been done to the bus. I am trying to get the bus super reliable as this is going to be our camping and touring vehicle for the foreseeable future.

The engine conversion is basically done and the diesel is purring like a tiger in the back. We are just waiting for some last minute additions like the EGT sensor, intercooler and oil cooler. The diesel fitted is a 1.9TDI AHF from the Golf and Jetta 4. I think it might have been used in an Audi as well. The factory specs are 81kw @ 4150rpm and 235Nm @ 1900rpm. Since we are not using the electronics but a mechanical pump setup, I'll have to dyno it to get the current figures, but it has more oomph where I want it, so the figures are not that important at this stage.

TDI in place

Raised deck.

Tucked away under carpeting. Should be nice and quiet.

Some other things that were done are new 930 CVs at the rear with special boots, complete new front shafts with CVs. New windscreen fitted. Decoupler fitted. Changed the shocks for stiffer ones and added taxi springs. Upper balljoints replaced, upper balljoint spacers installed, steering rack mounting rubbers replaced.

I still have a huge list of small things I want/have to do, but the major headache for me is the redesign of the interior rack system. I didn't get to finish the racks before we left for Botswana last year and it turns out to have been a blessing in disguise as I realised on the trip that my first design was not practical for the type of tour we were doing. The purpose of my rack system should be to be able to drive, make camp, pack up and drive again with the least amount of hassles and without having to unpack the bus to get to something you need. The more I search the internet for ideas the more confused I get. I have changed the design 5 times already and I am now hopefully on the last redesign. I have less than 2 weeks to finish the design and then less than 2 weeks to get it built and installed before the trip in April. Actually less because I have the list with a million and one small things to do as well. It's going to be tight again, but I am so excited at this stage. I am REALLY looking forward to the trip.

02-11-2014, 11:09 AM
This looks very good. Im sure it will be the last holiday vehicle for you as i cant see any need that it does not fill. Happy Motoring

1989 2.1 SYNCRO
2011 CB1000R

Stuart said "They say in "Namibia" the only problem with a syncro is when it does get stuck nothing else can get there to tow it out"

SYNCROnized OFF-Roading
02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Looking very good BHM!
I have been struggling with a layout for my bus for some time now as well. For this trip, I have opted to sleep in the bus. That means tables chairs and as much as possible must go on the roof, for which I have a big Frontrunner rack with an ugly but quite practical box made of plywood. Designs for slide-out kitchen done, don't know if it will work. My objective is the same: minimum work to pitch or breakdown camp, especially on a trip like this were this will be daily routine. Maybe we should swap ideas sometime? (that is, if you will ever forgive me about the T-shirts...).
BTW, I like your diesel installation! Have you done anything about gearing?
Rgds and can't wait for the trip!
E.

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
02-11-2014, 02:43 PM
(02-11-2014 02:05 PM)Enkie Wrote:  Looking very good BHM!
I have been struggling with a layout for my bus for some time now as well. For this trip, I have opted to sleep in the bus. That means tables chairs and as much as possible must go on the roof, for which I have a big Frontrunner rack with an ugly but quite practical box made of plywood. Designs for slide-out kitchen done, don't know if it will work. My objective is the same: minimum work to pitch or breakdown camp, especially on a trip like this were this will be daily routine. Maybe we should swap ideas sometime? (that is, if you will ever forgive me about the T-shirts...).
BTW, I like your diesel installation! Have you done anything about gearing?
Rgds and can't wait for the trip!
E.

Thanks Enkie. We must put some heads together. They say 2 are better than one.
We are also sleeping in the bus this trip. Since African Outback went under, I never got my clamshell RTT. The boss of AO lent me his personal one for our Botswana trip but I found it a bit of a mission to climb down from there in the middle of the night if you need to pinkle. The bus also felt top heavy as that thing weighs nearly 100kg. The soft shocks could also have contributed to the top heavy feeling. It should be better now with the new shocks and springs. I might go for something similar again but with a fibreglass housing. They only weigh around 65kg. The problem with having to pinkle at night can also be solved with a funnel/ Vuvzela and some pipe or a small porta potty.Big Grin
For this trip my daughter might sleep on the roofrack in one of those Malamoo instant tents. We are still deciding.

PM me your email address then I'll send you some ideas tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping to have a paper design finished tonight or tomorrow. Then I have to do a scale drawing to see if everything will fit. My aim is to pack 90% inside the bus and as little as possible on the roof. I still need to fit the solar panel there as well. I have restricted the females to one ammo crate per person for all their stuff. If it doesn't fit it doesn't come with.Smile

I am still undecided on the gearing, so will wait with that decision until I have driven the bus a bit. Stuart reckons it drives nicely and cruises at 110km/h. Don't know at what revs though. I am considering stronger gears though, but that has to wait a bit. My budget is broken for now.

Just yanking your chain about the T's. I anyway need 3XL to fit all this awesomeness inside, so I might have to get a few printed for myself.Smile

02-11-2014, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 03:01 PM by Dazz.)
What? there are T-shirts? where when and how much considering I don't have a Syncro yet maybe a T will help with the longing.

1989 2.1 SYNCRO
2011 CB1000R

Stuart said "They say in "Namibia" the only problem with a syncro is when it does get stuck nothing else can get there to tow it out"

SYNCROnized OFF-Roading
02-11-2014, 03:59 PM
(02-11-2014 03:00 PM)Dazz Wrote:  What? there are T-shirts? where when and how much considering I don't have a Syncro yet maybe a T will help with the longing.

Hopefully again at this year's Gauteng Syncro Day or spek to Enkie. Maybe he has some left from last year but I think they were only printed on order.

02-11-2014, 11:15 PM
(02-11-2014 03:59 PM)BHM Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 03:00 PM)Dazz Wrote:  What? there are T-shirts? where when and how much considering I don't have a Syncro yet maybe a T will help with the longing.

Hopefully again at this year's Gauteng Syncro Day or spek to Enkie. Maybe he has some left from last year but I think they were only printed on order.

Can I place a early order since I will only be in SA in March and will miss the GSD?Huh
02-12-2014, 07:21 AM
You should speak nicely to Enkie and hear what he says. Maybe he will make a few on order again. I'm also out of the country until just before the suggested date.