GEARBOX BRACE
Would love to feel that 1.8T ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: GEARBOX BRACE
Hi Everyone, is there any chance that a counter balanced crank would resolve the vibration issue? The vibration on my bus is getting quite irritating.

I would love to build a new 5cyl and include improvements that would improve longevity, low-down torque and fuel consumption.

'89 Syncro 2.6i "ZIP"
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
05-04-2016, 10:28 PM
If your vibration is getting worse then it is most likely something else not your engine. If it was the engine then you would know about it and it would have probably blown by now. Check all mountings including gearbox and make sure there is no contact between engine,gearbox and body.If the vibration is only there when driving then check the entire drive train especialy prop shaft.
05-04-2016, 10:51 PM
As far as I know since about the 1930's all car engines have counter balanced cranks. After market companies can balance crankshafts to a finer degree than normally found in mass produced engines but the difference is minimal and normally only done on performance and competition engines. The vibration you are experiencing is unlikely to do with the crankshaft. It is more likely an installation issue. Is there still vibration if the prop is removed or if the engine is revved in neutral? Is it at a specific speed or rev range?

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Adrian, try new engine mounts, can 90% guarantee at least one is broken

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
05-05-2016, 11:34 AM
What engine does Adrian have in his bus?
05-05-2016, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 08:54 AM by syncromad.)
2.5i 5cyl with k-jet, i think

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
05-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have the older version of the 2.6i.

The prop-shaft is currently off and the vibration is worst at around 3500 rpm. Mounts were checked and one replaced 2 months ago.

I am also experiencing poor shifting which seems related to the clutch. I will do a few checks as mentioned by Paul in his nice post and also a possible engine-gearbox mating mention by someone else i.e. loose bolts.

Just maybe this could also be related to the vibration I am experiencing.

'89 Syncro 2.6i "ZIP"
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
05-06-2016, 03:43 PM
If you have a 2.6i I would be inclined to check spark plug # 5 - the one closest to the distributor. I have had repeated issues with this plug fouling and that causes terrible vibration as you describe. I seem to have cured the problem by fitting a Bosch Super 4 WR56 plug. I may just fit Super 4s right through at a later date.