Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gordon and the gecko
06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Gordon and the gecko
Here is what i can remember about the story.

Gordon's family have a house on the Kromme River near Cape st Francis, it is an awesome place with a small river and waterfall near the house, they are a tributary to the Kromme river.

when Gordon was about 13 or 14 he found this gecko under an old boat on their property, not being able to identify it from any book or picture he took it to Bill Branch, the renowned herpetologist, Bill identified it as Peringuey's leaf tailed Gecko, which was thought to have become extinct nearly 100 years previously.

on research they found some more specimens, Gordon was offer the chance to rename the species but declined.

Here is the wiki pedia spec on the gecko.
Peringuey's leaf-toed gecko, Cryptactites peringueyi, is a species of gecko. It is particularly tiny, not growing more than about 5 centimetres (2.0 in), making it the smallest lizard in the region, along with the Striped Dwarf Leaf-toed Gecko of the Western Cape. It has a red-brown body sometimes with thin, pale dark stripes. This leaf-toed gecko is nocturnal and lives in matted marsh vegetation where it lays two minute eggs in summer.
It is endemic to South Africa, being restricted to a few saltmarshes in the Eastern Cape. It was believed to be extinct for a long time, but a tiny population was rediscovered in 1992 by the estuary of the Kromme river.

here are some pics of the house on the Kromme river.

whenever we went some where, Gordan was always catching gecko's, or chameleons and snakes. the last time we were in Kruger we went on a night walk in the camp and he caught a large , probably 15cm long house gecko and while on a night drive a chameleon was spotted, as we stopped Gordon jumped out the game viewing vehicle and caught it. the driver/guide nearly poo'ed himself as being native they are extremely scared of chameleons.

Stuart

Attached File(s)
.jpg  PC070060 (Small).jpg (Size: 93.58 KB / Downloads: 45)
.jpg  PC070030 (Small).jpg (Size: 108.57 KB / Downloads: 45)
.jpg  PC070024 (Small).jpg (Size: 105.58 KB / Downloads: 45)

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Re: Gordon and the gecko
Very interesting Stuff Thanks Stuart
06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks Stuart. I really would have liked to meet Gordon. He sounds like great guy.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
06-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Bernie,

Thanks, he was a great guy, was like loosing a brother even though we only new each other for a few years, they were really good years and we had some really great times and some awesome adventures.

Stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life