Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Part numbers for original CV boots
08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Part numbers for original CV boots
Hi can anyone perhaps help me with the part numbers for original CV boots for the front and rear cvs?

Thanks.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Re: Part numbers for original CV boots
Hi BHM, the original CV Boots were sold in kit form. The kit included boot, clamps, grease etc. The original part numbers for the kits were 251 598 101 and 251 598 102, being for inner and outer cv's. These were for the non - syncro buses. Syncro is listed as rear- 7M0 598 103 and front - 701 498 203 ( outer ) and 701 498 201 ( inner ). Hope that helps.
08-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks a lot. I'm going to try to find some.

08-08-2013, 02:27 PM
BHM....let us know if you were succesful please
regards

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.......in comfort in a syncro!!!
08-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Bernie I have been hunting for decent boots for my bus for as long as I can remember I just recieved boots from the wharehouse imported from Hans Priest in Germany they are Silicon And I have not seen boots that come close to these in terms of the quality they are pretty cheap @R120-00 each . I have to go to JhB this Friday let me know if you are interested I can bring them along (i just got four for my bus)I will reorder four for myself .
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks Jacques. It looks like Sonja has found some rears for me. They are on order from the factory, so 3 days delivery. The guy is searching for more.
On the front inners I have the Empi silicone boots used for offroad applications and have had no problems with them on the doka that is raised quite high. The front outers I have found a set from Empi as well, unfortunately not the offroad type as they don't make them for the outers, but they are neoprene or silicone (I need to check the details), but I think they should be better than the cheapies that are around.

My main problem is with the rears. With the extreme angles on the doka, cheap boots don't last. I am currently running a set of genuine VW boots but they have been on for probably 3 to 4 years now and are taking strain. I'm expecting a failure in the not too distant future. For the inners have the 108mm version of the Empi boots and for the outers I want to use the original VW as they are tapered and the Empi's aren't. The taper is important because otherwise it touches the stub axle housing on the trailing arm and it will wear through in no time.

This is what the Empi boots look like. They can bend in any direction at extreme angles without any strain on the boot.
[attachment=0]

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Empi boot.jpg (Size: 232.88 KB / Downloads: 383)

08-14-2013, 07:53 AM
What is the use for using them on the inners only?

If the outers are damaged or warn youll end up taking the complete shaft and CVs out anyways?

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
08-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Because they don't taper they rub against the trailing arm housing where the stub axle sits, on the top part. Otherwise I would have used them. They will work on a standard Syncro without lift. The other option is to modify the trailing arm. The VW boot last longer than the cheap crap (4 years now on the doka). If I only have to remove the sideshafts every 4 years it will be a pleasure.

08-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi guys, I see that you are only talking about the boot rubbers? I need to change my front cv's now as they are singing louder each turn!
I recond the right hand side 2 years ago but it did not last and i am not even doing off road at this stage!!
Is there a specific brand or part that you suggest? I am slowly getting my bus back to a good condition so want to do it right!
Thanks!

Charlton
http://www.jbcrvs.co.za
08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Speak to Syncromad.