Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 09:52 PM
RE: Buying Tyres for the Zim Trip
(11-30-2013 07:05 AM)syncromad Wrote:  That is good pricing R1245 here near us

TWT is selling Conti World Contacts 215/80 15 for R1,250 VAT incl until January 11, Goodyear Wrangler A/T for R1,295 and Velocity Raptors for R1,095. I've read that the Raptors don't last long and sometimes fail after just a few months with sidewall delamination. Velocity is a TWT in-house brand, but the tyres can be from a variety of manufacturers. In the case of the Raptor, I believe they originate from General Tyre, which is part of Continental. The general consensus is don't waste your money on Raptors. It's a pity because they actually look quite nice. TWT don't charge for fitting, but they do charge for balancing and they try and sell you valves and nitrogen. Nitrogen is a waste of time in my opinion. Dry air consists of 78% nitrogen anyway and it's not like they pull a vacuum, before pumping your tyres with nitrogen. If your are starting off with 78% then how much can it increase by?

Firestone Destination A/Ts can be had from Autoquip for R1,270 on special.
Find all posts by this user
12-13-2013, 03:56 PM
(12-10-2013 09:52 PM)Nico Wrote:  
(11-30-2013 07:05 AM)syncromad Wrote:  That is good pricing R1245 here near us

TWT is selling Conti World Contacts 215/80 15 for R1,250 VAT incl until January 11, Goodyear Wrangler A/T for R1,295 and Velocity Raptors for R1,095. I've read that the Raptors don't last long and sometimes fail after just a few months with sidewall delamination. Velocity is a TWT in-house brand, but the tyres can be from a variety of manufacturers. In the case of the Raptor, I believe they originate from General Tyre, which is part of Continental. The general consensus is don't waste your money on Raptors. It's a pity because they actually look quite nice. TWT don't charge for fitting, but they do charge for balancing and they try and sell you valves and nitrogen. Nitrogen is a waste of time in my opinion. Dry air consists of 78% nitrogen anyway and it's not like they pull a vacuum, before pumping your tyres with nitrogen. If your are starting off with 78% then how much can it increase by?

Firestone Destination A/Ts can be had from Autoquip for R1,270 on special.

Hi Nico,
Did you manage to get your Conti's? Nitrogen is a beeeg gimmick and a waste of time!!
If you haven't got them yet check out Gumtree. I bought 5 from a guy there, brand-new for R850.00 each he sells plenty. you will have to obviously have the fitting etc. done but the whole lot cost me R895.00 including fit and balancing each!
Cheers,
Rob.Tongue

Rob
12-14-2013, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 06:55 PM by Nico.)
I bought two Conti World Contacts during the week and fitted them at the back. I don't have any complaints other than that they are rather tall and while they don't touch anything, I can see them fouling the mud flaps when I come to fit them. I think I really prefer the 215/75 15s I had on previously size-wise. Maybe I should have just stuck with Bridgestone Duelers, despite the R500 odd higher price tag. Not sure what I want to do next.

I gather the guy you are referring to selling cheap World Contacts on Gumtree is in Carltonville? It's a bit far for someone in Cape Town, but yes R3,500 for four is a good price.
12-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Autoquip is currently selling Firestone Destinations 215/80 15 for R1,195 and if you buy four you get a digital point and shoot camera supposedly worth R900 for free.