Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mazda MX6 2.5 V6 24V conversion
03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
RE: Mazda MX6 2.5 V6 24V conversion
Hi Ian,was wondering how the MX6 wagen is doing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2015, 11:02 AM
(09-22-2014 10:15 AM)ian Wrote:  ...One of the best ever standard production V6's, eclipsed possibly only by Alfa's masterpiece V6. It is also the most compact and lightest standard production 2.5 V6 ever made...

I remember the Telstars with this motor. It was called the best Ford engine Mazda ever built!

But if memory serves, it sucked fuel like <insert crude simile here>. Tongue

(09-22-2014 10:15 AM)ian Wrote:  ...This was a time when the Japanese motor industry was at an all time high and it shows in this engine. Beautiful engineering and no bean counting cost cutting in sight!...

I think those were the heydays of Ford's shareholding in Mazda?

My name is RĂ©hann and I am a Volksie fan! Cool
03-25-2015, 12:42 PM
(03-24-2015 07:44 PM)vic5318 Wrote:  Hi Ian,was wondering how the MX6 wagen is doing?

Vic;
How is the alfawagen project coming along? I will be back in SA in 2 weeks do you need anything?

Later
Gerrie
03-25-2015, 08:56 PM
(03-25-2015 12:42 PM)BoetGert Wrote:  
(03-24-2015 07:44 PM)vic5318 Wrote:  Hi Ian,was wondering how the MX6 wagen is doing?

Vic;
How is the alfawagen project coming along? I will be back in SA in 2 weeks do you need anything?

Later
Gerrie

Hey,dankie Boet! Motor smiling at me every morning,ready to power up a nice bus. Just don't know what's wrong with "spaarvark" Maybe it have a worm,cause he struggles to pick up weight. But going there!!! No way letting go of the project! mail sent.
04-10-2016, 02:58 PM
(09-23-2014 03:11 PM)ian Wrote:  Ah Nico you'll have to wait until the end of the thread to see the finished install! But I can say I am very happy with it. I have put a lot of hard km's on it and the engine has been awesome. Honestly it's the best thing I've done to my Syncro. It is so much more fun to drive and on long heavily loaded trips it is a pleasure. The motor's characteristics seem to suit this application perfectly. I knew the motor had the right specs and on paper the torque curve looked impressive but I never expected a 24 valve high revving motor to pull like this one does from idle. That is what makes the biggest difference. All those slow 90 degree corners in town that required 2nd gear before are now effortless in 3rd. And it is absolutely, fantastically, smooth all the way through the rev range. If you are ever in PE you are more than welcome to pop in and try it.

Most conversions use an adapter plate between the engine block and bellhousing, but the Mazda flywheel is just too big to fit inside the T3 bellhousing. This install uses an adapter that goes between the T3 gearbox casing and the Mazda bellhousing. This enables all the standard parts to be used. Standard Mazda flywheel and pressure plate and standard Syncro clutch plate. I like using as few custom parts as possible so this arrangement works well. It also means you use the standard Mazda starter which is much better and you can get rid of the terrible T3 clutch slave cylinder. And it means the starter can be removed in about 5 minutes, which is very much not the case with the standard T3 starter!

I only have a poor pic of the adapter attached to the Syncro gearbox. Not a thing of beauty but it works.

The other thing I wanted to get away from was VW's horrible collection of rubber hoses. I made up stainless pipes and bends and used a few pieces of standard size, off the shelf, hoses to connect them.

Good day, I have a microbus and would like to upgrade the engine to something like the audi 2.6 /2.8 v6, anything that's a v6 really. This feed caught my eye. I have the quotes for the engines and would like to know if any modifications would be needed, like adapter plates/engine mountings/wiring. I'm currently running on a 2.2 5 cylinder block with a 2.3i top and injectors. Run by an mp9 harness and box.
04-11-2016, 07:09 AM
an audi v6 will fit almost directly on your bell housing, any other motor will require a custom made adapter

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user