Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enkie's new 2.3 5cyl 20 valve conversion
03-19-2015, 05:09 PM
RE: Enkie's new 2.3 5cyl 20 valve conversion
(03-19-2015 06:53 AM)syncromad Wrote:  Hi Enkie and John

Bilstein fronts ARE Coil Over, ie the coil sits over the shock, they are the best, what i use on My syncro's.

rears are not coil over,

stuart
Aaah, didn't realise that was called a "coilover". Always learning somethingShy
Phoned Bilstein and Ted is still with them and apparantly can still do shocks for a Syncro, I didn't enquire on price, didn't want to ruin my day!

Enkie might know the price 'cause I told them to phone him, don't know if they did...

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2015, 08:59 AM
They phoned me thanks John,
Its a special mod they used to make, he doesn't seem keen to do it again. If so, it will be quite pricey.
I also learned something: the "adjustable" in this case has nothing to do with the damping qualities of the shock itself as I always thought. "Adjustable", the way I understand it in my layman's terms refers to moving the lower seat (base, platform) on which the coils rests upwards. Effectively its the same as having spacers under the coils, but just more elegant.
By the way, their solution is not a "coil over" solution the way I understand it. It only uses the standard Syncro coils which are "coil over" by design, but I think Stuart's "coil over" refers to another coil over the shock, i.e. another cois around the shock inside the Syncro coil? Learning all the way....
Since I have embarked on the route on having coils made I will see what that's like first and take it from there. Anyway, I just had new shocks fitted so it would really be a waste..

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2015, 09:47 AM
no Enkie, there is no extra coil, you are over engineering the problem, coil over refers to the Spring/coil is over the shock. ie the spring is around the shock or the shock is inside the coil spring.

the adjustable is height adjustable, not damping adjustable, damping does nothing for ride height, the spring tension gives the ride height, so gas adjustable shocks like air-riders don't give you more ride height the just make the damping harder or softer, with standard, "soft" syncro springs you need to move the spring plate upwards to get a ride height increase, or fit stronger or longer springs.

hope this clears this up finally.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user