Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My White 1990 Caravelle Syncro
07-22-2015, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 09:16 PM by Bruce.)
RE: My White 1990 Caravelle Syncro
@ robh
Cool, no problem.
It really was a nightmare dealing with Busshmeide because of the language barrier and the wire transfer and then even the postage was a mess up, but in the end the product arrived and was good and Lucia was a very nice guy.
Put up some pics of your spare wheel carrier when it is finished, although I do already have a very nice one from Russel.

@ Xavier
Thanks, ja please send me the part # on the bearing seals.
Shot!

And how's this for news (for me anyway) Steyr Puch used to make a Fiat 500 in Austria called the "Puchwagen".

Caravelle Syncro 2.3 Andreno 1990
Caravelle Syncro 2.1 Stock Standard
Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2015, 07:09 AM
The number on the seal is TCY 65 80 8/13 2 NAK .
Xavier

In all things that don't succeed at first, change your approach and try again.
Find all posts by this user
07-23-2015, 08:52 PM
(07-22-2015 09:08 PM)Bruce Wrote:  @ robh
Cool, no problem.
It really was a nightmare dealing with Busshmeide because of the language barrier and the wire transfer and then even the postage was a mess up, but in the end the product arrived and was good and Lucia was a very nice guy.
Put up some pics of your spare wheel carrier when it is finished, although I do already have a very nice one from Russel.

@ Xavier
Thanks, ja please send me the part # on the bearing seals.
Shot!

And how's this for news (for me anyway) Steyr Puch used to make a Fiat 500 in Austria called the "Puchwagen".
Hey nice Puchwagen!! I'll post photos when its done, just trying to get someone to bend pipes a problem! But have that sorted now, so soon will be completed!
08-02-2015, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 09:37 PM by Bruce.)
Thanks Xavier

I see that my right back is correct but my left back not, does it matter?

(07-23-2015 07:09 AM)xavier Wrote:  The number on the seal is TCY 65 80 8/13 2 NAK .
Xavier

I thought my bearings were gone because the left back wheel was squeeking but once I removed it I see that it was my hand break cable which was cutting itself quite a deep groove.
I presume it needs to be adjusted or maybe I need a new one.

Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
08-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Have you looked into converting the rear brakes to callipers?

In all things that don't succeed at first, change your approach and try again.
08-10-2015, 04:27 PM
I haven't looked at how to do it practically but am interested in the idea.
I think Eclipse has T4 rear brakes.
I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to motor mechanics - it is only since I bought my Syncro about a year ago that I got into it - one of the most rewarding hobbies I've ever had.
Do you have any ideas?

Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
08-11-2015, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 11:26 PM by Bruce.)
Got some stuff back from powder coating.

Very impressed with the work done buy this guy.
He still has my steelies which he is doing silver, they might get mud tyres on them when I have the money - I am looking for a real 80's look, may even put on my old grill with only the two headlights.

Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
08-21-2015, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2015 09:34 PM by Bruce.)
Getting ready for a job @ Atlantis Dunes.
Thought my wheel bearing was was having issues so I decided to change it.
It was harder than expected and after the bearings were out I couldn't get the car off to a professional.

But at the end of the day I learned a lot!
It would have been much easier if all the bolts were new and came off easily but had to drill some out and buy some much bigger wrenches.

BEARING HOUSING

I made this bearing puller out of some washes, bearings, impact wrench sockets, a spring compressor and a hole saw.
It would have worked really well if I wasn't trying to push the bearings out the wrong way Rolleyes
In the end I got them out through the back ( right way ) with a mallet and a socket the the size of the bearings outer part.
I broke the outer bearing on reinstallation and then used the puller correctly and successfully to remove it again.
Once the outer bearing was inside the centre of the bearing housing I then had to smack the inner one out from the outside by hitting a smaller socket against the spacer.
They then both came out fine through the back of the bearing housing.

Learned how to adjust the Hand Brake - so simple and yet it has caused me so much frustration in the past - one of those things that is irritating if it isn't working well but you don't want to be without your car for a day or two to get it sorted.

Worked into to the night to get the Syncro ready for a job in Atlantis Dunes and only managed 4 hours sleep.

Working in the Dunes is usually such a bummer but the Syncro turned it into an awesome day.

Reconditioned Spare wheel Carrier looked the part.

Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
08-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Syncro is looking nice. How did it drive in the dunes or was it all work and no play?

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
08-22-2015, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 10:33 AM by Bruce.)
Thanks!
It was heavily loaded with equipment and people and performed like a dream, it was all work but we went everywhere so it got put to the test.
At one point we got stuck on a very soft dune at the same place a highlux and the Ford F250 got stuck but then engaged both diff locks and crawl gear and the Syncro swam out of it sideways, everyone loved the car and suddenly it has a real retro thing going on - it's 25 years old this year and is no longer seen as just an outdated car but rather as a real classic.

Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002