Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
newbie maranoux, 84 camper 1.9
07-23-2015, 11:57 PM
newbie maranoux, 84 camper 1.9
Hi all..

Maranoux here from vredenburg....I have a 1984 cocks camper 1.9 carb, busy restoring and have painted it and started fixing inside, but want beter power, maybe gone fit 2.1 injection intake and manegement and beter exh and solid lifters and see if power gets beter , hopefully wil go 2l 2e agg ady later if can find 1.8 belhousing and sump and all...or maybe 1.9 aaz for beter feul consumption and power , then 2.6 diff and 2.6 5th into 4th for longer cruise gearing, or get 2.3 box.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2015, 03:40 AM
RE: newbie maranoux, 84 camper 1.9
Welcome Maranoux
Nice camper. You would had a few of us chasing after you to buy your van if it was a few years older and had a syncro drive train.
I have been looking for one at the right price to buy and restore.
Why not go 2l conversion right from the start.
Enjoy
Xavier

In all things that don't succeed at first, change your approach and try again.
07-24-2015, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 09:29 AM by maranoux.)
thanks Xavier , my plan is also to later buy a syncro and make it a camper for long trips and camping by the west coast and maybe go Namibia and so on.... my hobby was to fix cars and turbo it but have thought my self threw the years to do management and can do gotech , dictator and spitronics and specialize more into that as it's less time consuming and there no one in the westcoast vredenburg area that does it.... i would like to make the 1.9 injection as can get intake for cheap and to fit manegment is easy for me,just lock the dist and fit a feulpump and opel filter and done,might even go 60-2 and run it wasted spark , to go 2l i just need the kombi 1.8 stuff , but is very scares and expensive, and as i want to keep my storage space under my bed

The other thing is also the 1.9 was redone on 167 000km by shellys in 2006 and after that the old toppie I bought it from did not drive it a lot before passing away,it only have 176 000km now so I believe the motor is stil ok...just abit dead to my liking and the lifters does not play with when cold so wil make that solid and make the motor feul injected and fit a better exh and see what power it makes then
07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
do yourself a favour, just do the golf 2.0i conversion from the start, the 1.9 is seriously underpowered.

start with fitting a diff lock 5 speed gearbox, i can sell you all the syncro suspension parts to make you camper a syncro.

stuart
syncro hopsital
083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
if I can find a donor wrecked syncro , can I just build over the front wheel train and the tank and gearbox and all? how many mounts must be welded in and how much cutting is needed? any links or pics?

Might go 2l8v onetime with mp9 and 268 cam and headflow ,i might be able to get the sump and belhousing and mounts from a 1.8l ....how diferent is the flywheel? and what starter must I use? golf mk1? or is all parts for 1.8 kombi custom? anyone got a pic of the 1.8 oilpickup?
07-28-2015, 09:33 AM
call me i have all you need,

stuart 083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2015, 08:49 AM
I found a syncro last week for 15. it was a stolen and recovered van and the licence was behind 5 years.
But my point is that they are out there and wont cost you a arm and a leg.
Good luck
Xavier

(07-28-2015 08:57 AM)maranoux Wrote:  if I can find a donor wrecked syncro , can I just build over the front wheel train and the tank and gearbox and all? how many mounts must be welded in and how much cutting is needed? any links or pics?

Might go 2l8v onetime with mp9 and 268 cam and headflow ,i might be able to get the sump and belhousing and mounts from a 1.8l ....how diferent is the flywheel? and what starter must I use? golf mk1? or is all parts for 1.8 kombi custom? anyone got a pic of the 1.8 oilpickup?

07-30-2015, 07:42 AM
found a body for R10000 with no motor and body rusted but train intact.....the guy sold it this morning
07-30-2015, 12:07 PM
(07-29-2015 08:49 AM)xavier Wrote:  I found a syncro last week for 15. it was a stolen and recovered van and the licence was behind 5 years.
But my point is that they are out there and wont cost you a arm and a leg.
Good luck
Xavier

It wasn't a gold one perhaps?

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
07-30-2015, 04:22 PM
No Bernard it was a blue one with lots of body putty on one side.
Did you have a gold one stolen from you?
Xavier