Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Greetings from Scotland
09-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Greetings from Scotland
Hi, my name is Neil and I live on the north west coast of Scotland, I've also recently agreed to buy Russel's orange Syncro off him. I hope you can forgive me taking away one of your SA Syncros? I promise I will take good care of it.

I'm hoping to come over to South Africa to collect it soon and organise shipping back home, I'd also like to take the opportunity to use my newly acquired T3 to do a wee tour of the area around Cape Town/West Somerset. I was last in South Africa 18 years ago when I was 21, I really enjoyed my time there, you have such a beautiful country and everyone I met was so friendly and welcoming. At that time there were T3s everywhere, a lot of people must have wondered about me when they saw me crawling under some of these exotic, big windowed, 5-cylindered beasts! Smile I never got to go a ride in one, but I did venture into a VW dealer in Durban and pick up a sales brochure. Russel tells me that sadly, they are not such a common sight on the roads anymore and many were crushed and not even broken up for parts, it seems such a waste.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys could recommend some places to visit and camp at whilst I'm over there? My Polish friend Kasia has volunteered to come with me, she's never stepped foot into the Southern Hemisphere before and she's really excited about it, so I hope she is in for a treat. I'm trying to get 2 weeks off work at short notice, when depends on when I can arrange pick up of the van from the docks in Cape Town, Russel can only hold onto it for another 4 weeks. My boss thinks I am crazy buying an old camper from Africa, but he is quite accommodating and I've not had a proper holiday in about 2 and a half years. I don't want to do masses of driving in an unknown, 26 year old vehicle so I think I'll probably stick to the Western and Northern Capes.

Also could any of you guys give me any advice on insuring my new T3 during my short stay in South Africa? Any recommended companies?

Many thanks,
Neil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2015, 02:21 AM
RE: Greetings from Scotland
Hi Neil

Congrats on the Camper - Very nice Syncro!
So many things to do.
Give Atlantis dunes a try, very close to Cape Town - 45 minutes max.
I bought my current Syncro from Russel and it has been great fun over the last year and a half - I leave for the Kgalagadi tomorrow for 17 nights.
The Cederberg is a nice camping spot.

Enjoy!

Caravelle Syncro 2.3 Andreno 1990
Caravelle Syncro 2.1 Stock Standard
Volksiebus 1.8 1994
Microbus 2.3i 2002
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2015, 12:43 PM
RE: Greetings from Scotland
Hi Neil,
I’m glad you found the Syncro you were looking for, even though you’re stealing it from us !
You are most welcome to PM me your contact details, and I will do my best to put something together for your planned visit with your newly acquired Syncro, obviously making the most of your time in SA. Seeing that Kasia has never been around here, we will make sure you visit the best places during your stay. And if you’re up for it we can work in a small distance off-road driving..
We can plan the trip around the Western Cape, there are SO many stunning places to visit, without having to drive many miles.
As far as insurance goes – I will ask around and find out if any company locally will do insurance for such a short period of time.
You can email me and we can take it from there, riaan@2wheelsafrica.co.za
Regards,
Riaan Jooste
Find all posts by this user