Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2.3i timing
09-28-2015, 09:04 PM
2.3i timing
Hi chaps

Know its been asked a few times and have searched the forums, just that i think i have found an 'issue' and want someone to confirm it or point me in the right direction.

On my 2.3 i understand i bridge terminals 2+4 to lock the timing and then use a strobe to set it to 6'. (as i understand it by bridging them, it doesnt allow the ECU to change the timing)

I found the 6 pin OBD plug ok, the only thing is, that plugged into the OBD plug there is another 6 pin plug (like the male half of a plug stuck into the female half)

On looking at it, pin 1,3,5+6 are blanked and 2+4 are bridged.

Would i be correct in saying the van i have just bought, has had the factory 'bridging/timing' plug left in by mistake and i am driving everywhere at 6' with no ECU timing variation or am i miles off?

Secondly, i am in the UK, know i am going to struggle getting an air filter over here but is there a common fuel filter from other makes/models i can use?

Cheers

ElvisSmile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2015, 07:10 AM
RE: 2.3i timing
Hi,

No that the plug out to set timing., that is a module for using unleaded fuel.

rest sounds fine,

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Fuel filter is same as some Audi's
09-30-2018, 11:12 PM
Where does one find the "bridge" for setting the timing; any idea on the ECU pin numbers? Is it in fact a bridge or does it have a resistor of any value? I rebuilt my engine harness and might have omitted this if it is not part of the inline 6 pin diagnostic plug.

'89 Syncro 2.6i "ZIP"
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)