Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Syncro with 6 cylinder Oettinger
10-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Syncro with 6 cylinder Oettinger
Please help. Some info on these vehicles please . May want to buy it.How are these motors.Spares? Value? Tks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: Syncro with 6 cylinder Oettinger
In their day they were nice. Now they are dated fuel drinking hard to find parts engines. There are people that will pay more for one as they consider them collect able but as a van to use, I would not have an Oettinger in any of my own vehicles.
Russel
10-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Tks for that. If I buy and motor goes pop , can one replace with........? And I would want aircon to still work.
10-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Only Syncro six pot I know of over here , I spent hours on wiring loom. Then it had a new loom built. Then owner threw towel in as still couldn't get it running right and went subaru.

AFAIK only new/decent engine spares available are off a (Turkish?) chap in Getmany who has a pile but drip feeds them onto the market to keep prices in his favour.
10-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Hi Elvis
All the 6 cylinder Oettinger vans we had here used the 2.1 looms with 2 extra injector plugs looped in. I never worked on any in UK so don't know how it was done in Europe. I know of more over here than I ever heard of over there.Pre 1991 that is. I have never been a fan of them as now days there are more modern engines to use.
As a collector I suppose I can see the attraction in it but not as an every day use vehicle.

As to fitting another engine when it gives trouble, first thing to check is the gearbox code to determine final drive ratio. Most 6 cylinder oettinger's had the longer ratio which is far to long for a golf engine to handle. So that leave the 2.6.
10-19-2015, 08:53 AM
I had a WBX6 as they were called. Also started out as the ideal dream. Now all I can say is keep away! I have driven in one that was made by Oettinger and installed by them in Germany and imported here. Still running and beautiful. But that's the only one I know of that runs correctly and reliably.
Fuel management seems to be an issue over hear and I spent years trying to correct it including speaking in German to the Oettinger crowd over there. Basically just no support, the motor is so old now that at Oettinger they can't even remember it! Tend to break gearboxes too just too strong for Syncro box.

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...