Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drawers System/Fridge Project
12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
RE: Drawers System/Fridge Project
(12-18-2015 07:05 AM)Philip Wrote:  I believe it's called 'Connect-It'
http://www.maizey.co.za/signage-material...ct-it.html
Thanks Philip.

Stuart, looks like I am going to be in SA early next year. Let me know if I can bring anything.

Merry Christmas all!!

Gerrie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2015, 08:21 AM
(12-18-2015 02:50 AM)BoetGert Wrote:  Izan;
What is the aluminum system called that you used to make the drawers. I don't think they are available in the USA but I would like to get my hands on them when I am back in SA. Is there a dealer / agent in Polokwane?
Looks great btw!
Gerrie

Thanks BoetGert

Its called Connect-it

If you cannot get hold of it there, you can pickup here when you are in SA

Just remember, it only work with that specific square tubing(25x25x1.6mm)
Ive heard of other places selling other sizes but im not sure where..

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
01-28-2016, 07:26 PM
This looks like a really great idea. I want to do a similar drawer system. I hope you can help with a few questions please :
a. What type of sliders did you use, eg ball bearing type ?
b. What slider brand / supplier did you use ?
c. How do you prevent the drawers from sliding open while driving ?
d. How do you prevent the drawers from rattling while driving ? Or is that not an issue ?
e. I see you have a single support leg under the main drawer when it’s pulled out of the vehicle. Do you have a problem with the main drawer / table twisting when you open the “side” drawers, especially if they are loaded with heavy stuff ?
f. Now that you’ve had it for a few months, what would you change ?

Btw, Maizey sell 19mm Connect-It fittings as well, but their range is limited.
01-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Hi Addo,

I bought a whole lot of stuff to make the drawer system with, including two sets of heavy duty rollers, Connect-It blocks, and aluminium sheeting. All still brand new.

I am in the process of emigrating, so I'd be keen to sell it all.

PM/SMS me if you're interested in buying it from me. It's in Jhb.

Simon
zero7669eight3698
01-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks. Will do.
02-04-2016, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 03:50 PM by EcLiPsE.)
Sorry for my late reply
A bit busy here, lots of planning, our new Baby is almost here and my focus is almost completely "deurmekaar".... ;-)

ADDO
"I hope you can help with a few questions please :"
a. What type of sliders did you use, eg ball bearing type ?
A: Big sliders are(1000mm Ball bearing 45kg) will cost you about R1500 at Conqueror.
The smaller sliders are plain 600mm sliders you can buy from kitchen supplies(cannot remember cost)

b. What slider brand / supplier did you use ?
B:(don't have a brand sorry, all unbranded)

c. How do you prevent the drawers from sliding open while driving ?
C: (still working on that ;-)) for now, i used the rubber straps you buy from Midas/Macro and works pretty well for a temp solution

d. How do you prevent the drawers from rattling while driving ? Or is that not an issue ?
D: No rattles while driving so far....

e. I see you have a single support leg under the main drawer when it’s pulled out of the vehicle.
E: This leg was just to support for the pic because the main frame was still loose. Im planning to build a proper leg that will compensate for uneven ground.

Do you have a problem with the main drawer / table twisting when you open the “side” drawers, especially if they are loaded with heavy stuff ?

Not really, but this would be eliminated if you have decent "legs" to support the drawer when opened

I would combine this "twisting" fix with the locks im planning on installing to keep the main drawer closed.

f. Now that you’ve had it for a few months, what would you change ?
F: I would like to try and build the main "frame" that is basically the seat out of aluminum if possible to make it lighter.
I might consider building it a little lower, and using the original VW seat sponge(you will then have less drawer hight)

At the moment you can fit a 8l steamer(pot) upright inside the drawer, this gives you a lot of space for "stuff" ;-)

Btw, Maizey sell 19mm Connect-It fittings as well, but their range is limited.
True, Maizey local dont keep stock on 19mm and as you say, connectors are limited
Thanks

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
02-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I've previously used slides from Furnlock & Slide in Killarney Gardens. Their super heavy duty (130kg) 1000mm runners are about R1000 a pair, while the heavy duty 900mm are about R500 a pair. If you are not looking for very heavy duty, I would suggest kitchen places like Gelmar or Roco. To solve the opening when driving problem, you can get the soft closing slides (you can only get these in the kitchen variety) which have initial resistance to keep them closed. These are what I am using for my camper conversion.

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
02-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys - your very useful feedback is much appreciated.

Eclipse - congrats on your addition to the family ! May he / she give you at least as much pleasure as the Syncro does.