Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
modern instrument cluster
12-01-2015, 07:18 AM
modern instrument cluster
Hi guys!
I did lots of reading on other sites this past few months,checking out what hacks and mods the overseas manne did to better/modify their busses.
Saw quite a bit of instrument cluster probs in the past on here.. So,was thinking...
Have anyone ever attempted a cluster upgrade from our later model vw's,like they used the passat parts over there.
Trying to figure out how does the citi 1.4 carb goods work and if this is a option,as they do not run mp9 and all the complicated computers etc.
What's your toughts on this one.... Huh

Just trying to keep myself bussy while my alfawagen project is stil alive but hanging...Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 08:36 AM
RE: modern instrument cluster
Hi Vic
Just my thoughts on that would be
1) mounting the instrument cluster from the golf into the T3 as I doubt the angles are the same, bear in mind the clusters are all fitted at certain angles to help minimise reflected glare as well as the bezel to help minimize the glare
2) All the sender units will have to be changed too as they all might have different resistance ranges and are calibrated for the correct clusters. If you use the T3 senders on the golf cluster the resistance ranges could be different and you might have inaccurate readings and this could be costly if the temp gauge for instance reads lower than the actual temp of the motor, the same can be said for the fuel level....oil pressure is just a light so no major issue there
Just my 2CW
Reg

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.......in comfort in a syncro!!!
12-02-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm busy in my spare time (haha) building a full electronic dash. It started as a small project to replace my faulty and inaccurate odometer, it has since evolved into a full dash. I have basically done the code for the tacho and speedo, but still need to test it in a vehicle. The plan is to calibrate the displays to use the standard OEM sensors for everything. Will keep you updated as I go along.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
12-02-2015, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 09:45 PM by vic5318.)
(12-02-2015 08:36 AM)Reg Knott Wrote:  Hi Vic
Just my thoughts on that would be
1) mounting the instrument cluster from the golf into the T3 as I doubt the angles are the same, bear in mind the clusters are all fitted at certain angles to help minimise reflected glare as well as the bezel to help minimize the glare
2) All the sender units will have to be changed too as they all might have different resistance ranges and are calibrated for the correct clusters. If you use the T3 senders on the golf cluster the resistance ranges could be different and you might have inaccurate readings and this could be costly if the temp gauge for instance reads lower than the actual temp of the motor, the same can be said for the fuel level....oil pressure is just a light so no major issue there
Just my 2CW
Reg

Thanx for your input Reg! I just fell in love with the passat cluster they used on the samba. One of them looks identical to the late model citi cluster. Obviously the golf don't have the OBC etc that complicates things. They also used the "vanagon" cluster housing. The sensors might take some effort,specially the feul gauge and speed sensor. But again, they made it work...

(12-02-2015 07:03 PM)BHM Wrote:  I'm busy in my spare time (haha) building a full electronic dash. It started as a small project to replace my faulty and inaccurate odometer, it has since evolved into a full dash. I have basically done the code for the tacho and speedo, but still need to test it in a vehicle. The plan is to calibrate the displays to use the standard OEM sensors for everything. Will keep you updated as I go along.

Hey Bernie,sounds good! Would like to see what's cooking! Are you going digital or analogue?
Saw another bus cluster,using vdo tacho,gps speedo with incorporated feul gauge wich can be programed to the bus feul sender, and seperate heatgauge. Also using standard bus bezel/cluster housing.

Look so cool!    
12-03-2015, 08:17 AM
I quite like the look of the passat cluster. Looks neat

1989 2.1 SYNCRO
2011 CB1000R

Stuart said "They say in "Namibia" the only problem with a syncro is when it does get stuck nothing else can get there to tow it out"

SYNCROnized OFF-Roading
12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
(12-03-2015 08:17 AM)Dazz Wrote:  I quite like the look of the passat cluster. Looks neat

Love it,going to do my best figuring out how to get it working! the citi 1.4 carb cluster works without mp9 computer,only a controler box. Heat and oil wo 't be a problem,only feul and speed need to be sorted..
08-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Just found this discussion and was wondering if anybody ever looked into it any further as my project bus has a totally shot cluster...
08-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Call me, Vic, we fix clusters, now too using a new track and oe used parts for the gauges etc, 083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2017, 11:37 PM
(08-08-2017 07:55 AM)syncromad Wrote:  Call me, Vic, we fix clusters, now too using a new track and oe used parts for the gauges etc, 083 629 9951

Thanx Stuart,will chat soon. Will be looking for some other stuff also..
08-10-2017, 07:48 AM
cool, found a bellhousing for you, will be here later today

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user