Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3/4 rock n roll bed
12-31-2015, 02:42 PM
3/4 rock n roll bed
Hi all,

I'm in the process of converting my bus into a camper and need to replace the rear seat with a 3/4 rock n roll bed. Russel suggested that I just cut the seat, but before I do I thought I would check if anyone had one of these lying around. The ones available online seem far too pricey to import.

Does anyone have experience in cutting the seat? It doesn't seem too complicated, but is there anything I need to be aware of? Or course I will transfer the mounting points across to the cupboard face.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2016, 07:19 PM
RE: 3/4 rock n roll bed
Hi Nick, so what was your solution... did you cut the seat or replace ? I need to make mine about 120mm narrower, but still want to use the same fold out bed system.
03-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Also interested to hear
03-27-2016, 11:37 PM
I have done this with great success in the past. To make it look like a factory instillation you need to remove an amount that will allow the upholsterer to redo the original seat cover by removing an amount that looks even.
On my last one I made it the same size as the middle row two seater so the material pattern would match up. If you have a middle row you can also use the base pice ( steel frame) as it has the captive nuts already fitted in the correct place.
03-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Hi guys,

My solution was to cut the seat base as Russel suggested - from a 3 seater to a 2 seater. I cut 535mm out of the back and bottom frames. I was getting all the seats re-upholstered anyway, so the upholsterer just copied the pattern from the original 3 seater. I still wanted the folding bed mechanism, so didn't use the middle seat frame - I had to make special brackets and mounting points to attach the folding mechanism onto the cupboards. I also cut the round bar off the front of the seat - it is not necessary and I can now have drawers pull out from under the bed. I am also going to cut the square tube off the folding mechanism as well as these are not necessary and without them I can fit 2 ammo boxes under the seat.

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
03-30-2016, 12:08 AM
Another mod to consider when doing this is to lift the seat as it sits a lot lower than the front seats.
I did this to accommodate the raised rear engine compartment but if you have the standard engine compartment you can build a draw system with a lid on to form your bed. The draws slide out the back door.
Nice for tools and spares. You can raise the seat by 8cm easily without being to high.
This also hugely increases the under seat storage.
03-30-2016, 06:52 AM
Looking good!!

Cheers
Johan

Syncro or bust....
03-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Russel, I would have loved to have done that, but then you can't use any of the original seat mounting points on the passenger side. Do you have to make a special bracket to mount the seat? Or do you weld in new captive nuts?

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
03-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks Nick. That's what I aim to do. I want to stick to standard as much as I can. The aim is not a full camper conversion.

I'm going to chop the centre bench as well to a two seater, to accomodtae a fridge. It will be turned rearwards with the flip down back rest behind the gap in the front seats, so one can still climb through.
03-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Nick on the passenger side I used 2 pieces of flat bar, the require length, with a hole on one side to bolt to the bodys original mounting points then welded them to the old mounting points on the seat bracket. These flat bars sit vertical. On the other side I made a bracket that ( as you have) bolts,using the one seatbelt mounting, to the body and also through the floor.