Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VW Synthetic Oil (80w GL-4)Transaxle & Front Diff
04-21-2016, 03:41 PM
RE: VW Synthetic Oil (80w GL-4)Transaxle & Front Diff
(04-21-2016 03:19 PM)derick Wrote:  
(04-21-2016 12:06 PM)Camperholic Wrote:  Ok, I found the gearbox oil now for the power steering oil. Apparently you get two colours, the red one and and another colour, anyone know which colour or spec for this fluid please?

Hi Camperholic
I have just refilled my gearbox with Caltex Havoline MTF SAE 75-90 API GL-4 and is about to test soon ! This is available in 500ml cans from Midas at about R45.00 per "black" can ! Just confirm with the other guys that this is the right oil ! Derick

Hi Derick

Thank you for that tip. I assume you are referring to the gearbox oil and not the power steering fluid. I will wait and see what the guru's say about the oil you are using. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2016, 08:17 PM
RE: VW Synthetic Oil (80w GL-4)Transaxle & Front Diff
The Castrol Syntrans is ok. Not sure about the Caltex MTF. Can't find any specs on it. Is it even a fully synthetic oil? I'd be interested to know what Erlemans recommends, but they probably will sell you their oil without telling you what it is.

VW tested various oils when they built the 5 cylinder Syncros as the standard oils were not coping. I'm looking into this at the moment and seeing if we can get something better than the currently used oils. They did some tests with a GL5 spec oil that was GL4 compatible. In other words it didn't corrode the yellow metals found in our boxes like a standard GL5 oil would but it also had the extreme pressure additives that GL5 oils specify and which are good for the crown wheel and pinion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply