Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine Dies When Warm
05-03-2016, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 10:18 AM by Gerard W.)
Engine Dies When Warm
My bus has a 2.6, 5 cylinder with Spittronic ignition. Since last Monday, after running fine, it just dies randomly when the engine is hot.

There were two changes :

1. I suspect that when the body work was done they welded on it without disconnecting the main battery

2. After the spray job I had the engine washed.

If I wait until the engine has cooled down, it goes again for a while. Anyone else that has had this problem.

Sorry should have added... I have a bit of technical knowledge, and generally its either fuel or spark.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else, with this motor, has had a specific problem causing it to die.

IOW, I want to start looking in the front and not spend hours to find the fault, by default testing, in the end.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 11:04 AM
RE: Engine Dies When Warm
aftermarket management is a law to its own, they are hard to diaganose, good luck

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2016, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 12:56 PM by EcLiPsE.)
Engine Dies When Warm
Check hat your battery terminals are tight
Also check the main + back of starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be earth wires on gbox and engine, check them also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
05-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Having to disconnect the battery when welding is an absolute mith. It will not affect your engine management in any way.
As Stuart says above, aftermarket management is a law unto itself. Personally would not go near one.
Start by checking all your earths and that you don't have dampness in any of the wiring plugs or distributor.
05-03-2016, 04:49 PM
I agree with the aftermarket ignition systems. I don't like it, but the bus has done about 8000km the last three years with it. Bitch to set it properly through the range, but all the settings were tested last Friday (with the correct mapping program) and all checked fine. So I will live with the short comings.

Relieved to here about the welding. Will check all connections. Problem is it takes time to eliminate one by one and I just want to use the bus

Tomorrow I'm taking it for some testing, coil, spark, fuel pressure etc. On the road, not in a workshop.
05-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Seems I may have sorted the problem. Faulty coil with bad connection.
05-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Nope, problem persisted and today Murphy finally gave me a break. Was driving around with the mechanic, to reset the ECU, when it died. We picked up its the hall sensor in the distributor. Got a new one and it started and ran immediately.

Time had however run out and we could not get the settings proper, but it runs.
05-24-2016, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 11:04 AM by Gerard W.)
Engine runs almost nicely now. Opened the throttle a bit, cold starts and idles nicely. Going for a final tune-up on the Spittronic this afternoon.

The problem that persists is that it jerks during normal driving. Not a lot or heavily, just annoying.

The static timing on the distributor is set at 15 degrees BTDC. Is that too high ? I feel it is. Engine also pings. I don't know what the set-up for the ECU must be and don't want to argue with a guy who is supposed to be the expert.

Factory setting was 6 degrees OEM. Also it smells like its over fueling and consumption is heavy.

Ideas ?

Am I being finicky with an aftermarket ECU and should I be satisfied with some sort of happy medium, as it is now ?
05-24-2016, 11:35 AM
No answers or ideas but hope you make some progress! I don't have experience with aftermarket ecu's but although I don't think it will be as good as a factory system, if it is set up properly the motor should run without issues. So definitely better than what you have now. But if the pinging is caused by a compression ratio that is too high you will never get it sorted. If they are trying to sort out a compression issue by playing with timing and fuelling, it's not going to run correctly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Ian told me the other day there is a member in the WC who had/has a 2.6 with a Spittronic that ran very nicely.

What was the static settings on your bus ?