Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
adding syncro gearbox to 2wd kombi
05-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Good Day,

Has anyone gone through the process of installing a syncro gearbox to a 2wd kombi, as i would like to find out the process and what is required from a syncro.

I read on a forum that the gearbox fits without any drilling and has the mount points are already on the chassis, but you need the syncro gear selector shaft as it has a bigger bend as its mounted lower.

Does the entire engine and gearbox also need to be mounted lower like on a syncro?
I think a 2wd with rear diff lock and the G gear would be pretty good in the rough stuff.

thanks,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2016, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2016 09:27 AM by syncromad.)
RE: adding syncro gearbox to 2wd kombi
Hi,

i have a diff lock 5 speed fitted to my 2wd doka, works great, not neen off road with it as it has small wheels atm,

i am sure you can fit a syncro box to a 2wd, you may just need to cut the cross member or make a blanking plate for the output housing, as it is not needed and wil make the gearbox a bit shorter and easier to fit.

i have often while playing with my syncro got it "stuck" in an axle twister in 4wd, decoupled it to 2wd and switch the rear diff lock on to see what will happen, and it always rode out in 2wd and rear diff lock on.

stuartl

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Hi
I've had this done this with my 1991 2.5 Microbus, though I didn't do the installation myself. The transmission was built up to order by Ehrlemans I believe. It has the normal road ratios, a factory brace (you definitely need that) and a blind cover on the nose where the Syncro prop shaft flange would normally be. It uses the normal Syncro vacuum actuator. As far as I know it's a straightforward bolt-on. It certainly wasn't necessary to cut the cross-member, lower the motor or fit a Syncro selector shaft. I had the suspension lifted 30mm at the same time using imported spacers.

I'm not a hard-case off-roader, I just wanted the difflock to give me some help to get out of soft stuff which it does very well. I've used it several times , most notably on a few challenging mountain passes and it has worked 100%.

PM me for more info
Colin
05-11-2016, 07:18 PM
The diff-lock could come in handy at times - would help when trying to reverse off your own front lawn!

05-11-2016, 07:55 PM
(05-11-2016 06:00 PM)Oberon Wrote:  Hi
I've had this done this with my 1991 2.5 Microbus, though I didn't do the installation myself. The transmission was built up to order by Ehrlemans I believe. It has the normal road ratios, a factory brace (you definitely need that) and a blind cover on the nose where the Syncro prop shaft flange would normally be. It uses the normal Syncro vacuum actuator. As far as I know it's a straightforward bolt-on. It certainly wasn't necessary to cut the cross-member, lower the motor or fit a Syncro selector shaft. I had the suspension lifted 30mm at the same time using imported spacers.

I'm not a hard-case off-roader, I just wanted the difflock to give me some help to get out of soft stuff which it does very well. I've used it several times , most notably on a few challenging mountain passes and it has worked 100%.

PM me for more info
Colin

I like your thinking.
05-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Like i said, if you remove the nose cone from the syncro gearbox, no body mods are needed to fit the syncro box to a 2wd. the ratios on the syncro box are just not ideal for a normal bus IMHO.

my 2wd doka with a normal 5 speed diff lock gearbox will do 180km/h on a flat road, ok it has a big motor that can rev, but this motor and a syncro box would top out at 165 approx. this just relates back to speed vs revs at 120km/h, the 5 speed is about 15% lower revs at 120.

yes the "G" is missing but the 1 st on a 2wd 5 speed is lower than first on a syncro.

i only fitted the locker gearbox cos i intend to use the doka as a tow vehicle for work, some times i need a bit more traction with pulling a car or trailer up a steep gravel road or drive way.

the Hard part about fitting a syncro gearbox is that very few people will sell a loose syncro box.

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Hi,

After reading a bit around I decided to email Erlemanns as they seem to be the best when it comes to gearboxes and mods, I have till now not received and email back from them, does someone perhaps have an address for someone directly, the address I used was [email protected]

thanks,
05-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Phone Erlemanns and ask to speak to Martin. I've dealt with him for all my boxes. They built me a box with a LSD for my crew cab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-16-2016, 11:39 PM
I have 2wd brand new diff lock 5 speed gearbox's in stock. Will really simplify things just to fit a box like this than modify a syncro box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
05-17-2016, 03:50 PM
(05-16-2016 11:39 PM)deanace Wrote:  I have 2wd brand new diff lock 5 speed gearbox's in stock. Will really simplify things just to fit a box like this than modify a syncro box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for the feedback, how would the 5 spd work on a stock 2.1 2wd, and what needs to be changed by the gear selector and selector shafts for that solution to work as intended.

regards,