Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CW+P noisy...
05-13-2016, 06:29 PM
CW+P noisy...
So after 45000ks on my Erlemanns box with V6 2.6 Audi engine and just returnining from Kgalagadi trip the typcal whiningnose under accelertion indicates to a worn CW+P...

I can get a rebuild for R12500.00 from Gearmax outlet in Strand.Guy there seems to know what he is talking about.Alternative to that would of course be to,once again,get an Erlemanns box.I have had very good service from the box.

Question which arises is when Erlemanns rebuilds a box and sell it as reconditioned,do they put in new stuff,or rather check tolerances on existing stuff and if OK they do not replace.

Also,if I get Erlemanns replacement box (Alan you hear me?)who do I get to do the replacement down here in the Cape Town area?

Any advice will be appreciated,as I am allready planning my next trip and the harsh dry whining sound is not nice to hear!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2016, 09:57 PM
CW+P noisy...
hi Hans

All Erlemann recon box's get brand new crown wheel and pinions installed on my units and gears get inspected and replaced with the main shaft, all bearings replaced with new and syncro rings of course, we only use genuine parts on my builds

If you send your box in directly you can request not to replace cw&p and use pirate parts ect to keep costs down but definitely not something I recommend.

I would definitely either send your box directly back to Erlemanns or through Ace (costs will be the same) and get it checked out properly and sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2016, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2016 05:33 AM by microbus.)
RE: CW+P noisy...
(05-13-2016 09:57 PM)deanace Wrote:  hi Hans

All Erlemann recon box's get brand new crown wheel and pinions installed on my units and gears get inspected and replaced with the main shaft, all bearings replaced with new and syncro rings of course, we only use genuine parts on my builds

If you send your box in directly you can request not to replace cw&p and use pirate parts ect to keep costs down but definitely not something I recommend.

I would definitely either send your box directly back to Erlemanns or through Ace (costs will be the same) and get it checked out properly and sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dean

Thx for prompt reply.Does your Brackenfell branch have stock,can I collect and get it installed by Eddie Syncroman in Joostenberg and return old one?If he is not available,who else do you recommend for installation?

Regards

Hans
05-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a new CW+P set with related bearings?

Also a difflock vacuum unit?

Thanks!

Hans
05-26-2016, 05:56 PM
CW+P noisy...
Ace auto scrapyard speak to dean 0118115855
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2016, 10:26 PM
What has happened to your diff lock actuator. I fitted a brand new one to your bus just over 3 years ago.
08-03-2016, 01:40 PM
[quote='microbus' pid='19263' dateline='1463156941']
So after 45000ks on my Erlemanns box with V6 2.6 Audi engine and just returnining from Kgalagadi trip the typcal whiningnose under accelertion indicates to a worn CW+P...

I can get a rebuild for R12500.00 from Gearmax outlet in Strand.Guy there seems to know what he is talking about.Alternative to that would of course be to,once again,get an Erlemanns box.I have had very good service from the box.

Question which arises is when Erlemanns rebuilds a box and sell it as reconditioned,do they put in new stuff,or rather check tolerances on existing stuff and if OK they do not replace.

Also,if I get Erlemanns replacement box (Alan you hear me?)who do I get to do the replacement down here in the Cape Town area?

Any advice will be appreciated,as I am allready planning my next trip and the harsh dry whining sound is not nice to hear!
[/quo

Hi, do you perhaps have a contact nr. for Gearmax strand?
08-03-2016, 11:30 PM
A syncro box is a finicky thing. I personally would not use anyone who dose not have the correct tools for this gearbox. And know how to use them. Very very few places have these tools, nearly every place that builds these boxes dose it by sight and feel. This method will only give you a short life. Pinion depth is critical and needs the VW tool to measure so the correct shims are used. No 2 crown and pinion are the same so correct shimming is needed.
If you can afford an Elermans box, don't think about it buy one.
08-04-2016, 07:35 AM
My two cents worth having had a Syncro for over 20 years and other Microbuses, I've learnt and only use Erlemanns. One tends to end up there eventually anyway. It costs less at the end of the day!

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...