Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Syncro Bus
09-15-2016, 01:37 PM
RE: My Syncro Bus
Good news! I was just wondering this morning how the engine rebuild was going. Looking forward to another outing when it's done.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Heard the engine run yesterday, so looks like we almost there. Revs up like a two-stroke.
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Time for an update. Last we heard that the engine was getting a re-build by Frans. I got it back in December and next day we went on our holiday trip. Some will recall we had some tuning issues, but the bus got us all the way there and back.

In Feb it went back to Frans to sort the snag list, got it back and its all sorted. Runs like a beaut, except for that bleddie valve lifter noise, but we will live with that.

Now we continue to get it sort of original... found Caravelle mirrors and it looks like Frans has found me a set of Caravelle bumpers. I will then have him make me a set of wheel carriers, one for the spare wheel and the other for a luggage box.

You may recall that my bus is a bit of a factory hybrid build, with a 1990 Microbus body, but fitted with Caravelle stuff, so I don't mind the Caravelle bumpers, I'll still call it original.

A Microvelle Big Grin
05-05-2017, 12:07 PM
I did this to the back of my bus to help get that hot air out the engine bay. I'm having louvres custom cut to cover the holes at Laser Punch and Bend in PE.

Once done they will have it on CAD and can produce on order. If anyone else is thinking about it, let me know if you want.

I'll post pics and price when I get them

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-09-2017, 09:40 AM
(05-05-2017 12:07 PM)Gerard W Wrote:  I did this to the back of my bus to help get that hot air out the engine bay. I'm having louvres custom cut to cover the holes at Laser Punch and Bend in PE.

Once done they will have it on CAD and can produce on order. If anyone else is thinking about it, let me know if you want.

Are you having overheating issues?
05-09-2017, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 10:10 AM by Gerard W.)
(05-09-2017 09:40 AM)Camperholic Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 12:07 PM)Gerard W Wrote:  I did this to the back of my bus to help get that hot air out the engine bay. I'm having louvres custom cut to cover the holes at Laser Punch and Bend in PE.

Are you having overheating issues?

Thus far, no. The heat management system does its job. Just don't like it always red lining when climbing in the mountains. Fan takes long time to come on. Fitted an override switch as well.

Just some money in the bank. It gets unnecessarily hot in that engine bay.

And it works. You can feel the hot air escaping and the engine lid seems to be cooler. Will test it proper this weekend when I do Baviaans.
05-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Did my trip. Very pleasant. Bus ran like a Swiss watch.

The vent holes in the back of the engine bay definitely worked. Not once climbing the passes did the needle go above the light. The engine lid did not get near as hot as before and not as much dust on the engine as before. So, it sucks, and I will recommend it.

Top of Combrinks pass. Oh ! And Baviaans is again a gravel highway. Not much of a challenge for the bus. Just a lekker cruise.

05-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Glad to hear will def wait to hear about those holes at the back
05-14-2017, 08:22 PM
(05-14-2017 06:26 PM)zoodog Wrote:  Glad to hear will def wait to hear about those holes at the back

It works. I you want to know if you should do it, yes.

Still working on the louvres to cover it. Not happy with the first set. Will go see the people tomorrow and do some changes.

Once done, I'll post the details and you can order from them. If there is a problem with shipping, I collect and forward to you.
05-31-2017, 10:32 AM
Slowly getting it back to original.