Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14" Tyres Dunlop SP Trakgrip-good or bad?
05-25-2016, 05:11 PM
14" Tyres Dunlop SP Trakgrip-good or bad?
My Syncro came with the 14" "bullethole" original VW mags. In order to get roadworthy I will have to fit new tyres. I am struggeling to find any other 14" A/T tyres then the Dunlop SP Trakgrip A/T 103 S in Cape Town. Any thoughts on them? I am thinking of going for the 205/80 R 14 as this was the size the Syncro came out with. The sidewall height should make it quite high so I am not sure witch advantage 215/70 R 15 would have in regards of ground clearance(besides a much greater variety of tyres to choose from).

Cheers Lars
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: 14" Tyres Dunlop SP Trakgrip-good or bad?
Lars, the track grips are great, 15" with a 215/80 R15 will give approx 30mm more ground clearance, and you can fit big brakes, but the spare does not fit in the front,

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2016, 10:08 AM
RE: 14" Tyres Dunlop SP Trakgrip-good or bad?
Hi Lars,
I have recently fitted a set of the 14" Trakgrips, 205/80 R 14.
Very happy with them, and they have a 6 ply sidewall which is perfect for a Syncro in terms of lateral stiffness. Also the Syncro is rather heavy and the weight specs are all in check,
I did Lesotho in my Syncro with the Dunlop's and no complaints.
Had these on previous 4x4 vehicles fitted and never had any issues, no punctures and very good mileage.

Personally i would go through the pains of fitting 15" rims, your spare doesn't fit anymore, and other issues down the line.

Hope it helps.
Riaan
Find all posts by this user