Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New project install
07-01-2016, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 04:19 PM by Russel.)
New project install
    here is the start to my latest 1.8T install. I have installed a few of the transverse version of this engine but this time I will be using a APU inline version.

Here is another.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2016, 06:19 PM
RE: New project install
Another 1.8T?

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
07-01-2016, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 08:53 PM by EcLiPsE.)
New project install
Yup
1.8T
Im jealous , mine is not done yet 😕

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to do a detailed write-up? ;-)

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
07-02-2016, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 08:41 AM by Russel.)
I made the decision to remove the TDI from our camper and fit the 1.8t. The reason for this is it is a heavy vehicle and as such the TDI is just going to to be to strenuous on the gearbox. Destroyed enough boxes over the past 15 years with TDI engines.
This is a fly by wire setup wich is what I have wanted and is 150bhp and 210nm from 1750rpm till 5800rpm. Max rpm is 7600rpm.
I may leave it at that or chip it to 190bhp and 300nm like my other syncro but will make that decision at a later point.
I will try keep a reasonably detailed build on this but I am also in no hurry to finish it.

Photos of the last install. These are some of the custom bits to fit the 1.8t.

Engine in.

The engine box is built higher than required for this engine. It was done like this to line up with the bed.

07-02-2016, 09:53 PM
here is the loom out the car that I need to go through. Need to remove everything that is not needed and then wire in everything that I need with fuzes, relays, etc. I will be fitting cruise controle to this one aswell plus all the emissions equipment so this will be a euro 4 emissions engine as it is in the original vehicle. 2000 model Passat.

07-03-2016, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 07:05 AM by EcLiPsE.)
New project install
Very nice Russel!
Would you consider a longer 4th gear on this type of conversion of your average driving speed is 80-100km/h gps?

Are you fitting a oil catch tank to your conversion?

If you say "euro 4 emissions" what are you doing with he catalytic converter?

I also see no fly by wire in your engine bay? Cable?

07-09-2016, 10:07 AM
There is no need for an oil catch tank unless your engine is on its way out. A good heathy engine will be just fine as it was in the car.
On my other syncro I have a slightly longer 4th gear fitted ( from a 2.6) and am using 30inch tyres with a 5.43 final drive and cruise at 120.
On this new project I will be fitting a cat. I will still need to decide what cat I am going to use.
So far I have simplified the loom to the parts I need so now need to fit relays, fuzes etc.
07-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Bought another 1.8t engine today. This is the ARZ code. All the same electronics as the APU but it is the later block with the internal water pump and from a transverse fitment. I prefer this block desighn as altinator, power steering and aircon are more compact allowing for a narrower bash plate.
07-12-2016, 02:03 AM
New project install
What size exhaust silencer would you suggest?
I already purchased a 400mmx63mm ss box with centre/off-centre holes.

Just wondering what is your experience with noise levels?

07-14-2016, 11:46 PM
I use free flow boxes on any turbo engine I install. The easier the exhaust gas can flow the easier the turbo can spool. The turbo also acts as part of the exhaust and reduces noise.