Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Further Introduction of Juddy as a now Syncro owner
08-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Further Introduction of Juddy as a now Syncro owner
Hi all,

I have been a member for a while now as I had interest in things VW Microbus as I have own a factory fitted 1.8 sleepy-engined, 2wd bus since new(1998). I have now acquired a High Roof Syncro Camper which many of you would consider to be a donor vehicle, but I want to fix her up and will need a lot of guidance and assistance and motivation at times.

On collection, apart from me not being able to select 1st and 2nd gears, 4th jumped as soon as one engaged it. G, 3rd and reverse were the only ones i could select. The gearbox and diff is now out of the bus and stripped down for my attention. New synchro gears and 3rd-4th Slider hub to be fitted. After a good clean and inspection, bearings and gears are to be re-used as they appear to be OK. I am busy 'sourcing' the tools for the pinion bearing nut and the 4th gear inner race.

The syncro comes with a 4y engine fitted (not done to nicely), and comes complete stove, basin, auxiliary under-slung tanks (2 off), has the normal 2wd tank fillers in place and comes complete with front and rear diff locks(Actuators needed), fridge, awning with side tent and dual battery system. Oh, I forgot to mention it has a rear fibre-glass cargo/storage box which follow s the 'design' lines of the Microbus. My van needs much work before I will be able to enjoy it.

My biggest concern for now is the rust that has developed where the fibre-glass roof met the rain gutters. Yes I say 'met' because the vertical section of the gutters are now non existent.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2016, 07:54 PM
RE: Further Introduction of Juddy as a now Syncro owner
(08-19-2016 03:19 PM)Juddy Wrote:  Hi all,

I have been a member for a while now as I had interest in things VW Microbus as I have own a factory fitted 1.8 sleepy-engined, 2wd bus since new(1998). I have now acquired a High Roof Syncro Camper which many of you would consider to be a donor vehicle, but I want to fix her up and will need a lot of guidance and assistance and motivation at times.

On collection, apart from me not being able to select 1st and 2nd gears, 4th jumped as soon as one engaged it. G, 3rd and reverse were the only ones i could select. The gearbox and diff is now out of the bus and stripped down for my attention. New synchro gears and 3rd-4th Slider hub to be fitted. After a good clean and inspection, bearings and gears are to be re-used as they appear to be OK. I am busy 'sourcing' the tools for the pinion bearing nut and the 4th gear inner race.

The syncro comes with a 4y engine fitted (not done to nicely), and comes complete stove, basin, auxiliary under-slung tanks (2 off), has the normal 2wd tank fillers in place and comes complete with front and rear diff locks(Actuators needed), fridge, awning with side tent and dual battery system. Oh, I forgot to mention it has a rear fibre-glass cargo/storage box which follow s the 'design' lines of the Microbus. My van needs much work before I will be able to enjoy it.

My biggest concern for now is the rust that has developed where the fibre-glass roof met the rain gutters. Yes I say 'met' because the vertical section of the gutters are now non existent.

Hi Juddy

Seems like you have the bug, Big Grin

Cut the rust out ( chop the top a little ) and weld a new plate in all round to mate with the fibreglass top's edge. Seal with an automotive specific door seal from a rubber company. Getting the correct gap for the seal will be tricky I think.

I think it is a great start allthough I have a huge disdain for rust you have the makings of a great camper.
08-20-2016, 11:19 PM
RE: Further Introduction of Juddy as a now Syncro owner
Well that is the intention. So anyone that can tell me how the roof is secured. It appears that the cabinets are attached to the roof with rivets. Are these rivets as well as the only epoxy/sealant the only thing that is keeping the high roof on? All suggestion and advice ks welcome.