Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Water level in reservoir
10-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Water level in reservoir
Hi Fundis

I am leaving for Kgalagadi on Wednesday and have just checked the water level in both the primary and secondary reservoir.

The level in the secondary reservoir,which you use to top up the cooling system,is ok but the primary reservoir is below minimum.

Question is do I now top up the primary system via the blue pressure cap,or do I overfill the secondary reservoir hoping that it will "feed" into the primary system?

My gutfeel say top up the primary system...

Any advice will be appreciated!

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 03:01 PM
RE: Water level in reservoir
When vehicle is cold top up the primary bottle but only just past half way. The water system will find its own level by taking or rejecting water to the secondary bottle through the blue valved cap. Diffent vehicles like different levels and there is no set rule to it. Main thing is if the little red light on your temp guage flashes then your level is to low. This light will flash for low coolant or high temp.
10-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks Russel!!
08-26-2017, 03:33 AM
Idea For the original factory spec T3 2.1L WBX motor:
Expansion (pressure) bottle should always be full. The cooling system requires NO air in the sealed cooling system to operate most efficiently. To achieve that, it's necessary to also complete a venting of all air via a coolant system air bleeding procedure.
The overflow bottle should only be filled to approx halfway as per mark showing on bottle. Then if the level drops, suspect a leak in the cooling system somewhere. If the level rises then suspect a leaking head gasket, possibly exhaust gases entering the coolant system. Cool