Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1992 Syncro
11-29-2016, 01:05 PM
1992 Syncro
Hi Guys

I have been looking for ages to find a suitable Syncro bus that I can enjoy with my family. I have been a Syncro fan ever since they came out. My Dad was on the original development team at VWSA and I drove some of the first ones off the line - love at first drive. Other than that I have always been a VW fan. I currently drive a VW Transporter Crew Bus, Bitd, DSG 4 Mot. I also have a 1985 Microbus pannel van type with a 2.1 motor just redone by Andreno. Syncros have just always intrigued me so finally, I am following through with it. I found one in Uitenhage of all places. It is a 1992 Big Window bus that I have purchased . I have requested that that the chap I bought it from restores it for me as that is what he does for a living. Also because I have two left hands and the patience of a 10 year old at best. So looking forward to getting the work started (this week) and getting the project completed. I thought I would add pics of the progress.

The idea is as follows:
Drop a 2.0l golf motor in
Keep the original seating config (3 kids) with back seat that converts into a bed.
he will raise the platform above the engine to increase the bed size.
We are keeping it white
The rest will be decided along the way.

Updates if all goes well should be weekly.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: 1992 Syncro
Welcome to the PE Syncro brigade. Quite a few of us around here.

Who is working on your bus ?
12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
(11-30-2016 09:05 AM)Gerard W Wrote:  Welcome to the PE Syncro brigade. Quite a few of us around here.

Hi Gerard

Thanks for the welcome, appreciated.

Francois Du Toit is doing the build for me.

Do you know him ?

Cheers
12-01-2016, 10:50 AM
(12-01-2016 10:18 AM)KaTooM Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 09:05 AM)Gerard W Wrote:  Welcome to the PE Syncro brigade. Quite a few of us around here.

Hi Gerard

Thanks for the welcome, appreciated.

Francois Du Toit is doing the build for me.

Do you know him ?

Cheers

Yip, he is doing my bus' engine. Be patient.
12-01-2016, 02:17 PM
[/quote]

Yip, he is doing my bus' engine. Be patient.
[/quote]

Why does he take his time ? He given me a promised date and I added in the contract with him if he doesn't finish by that date he reimburse me. He seemed adamant that he could meet the date.

I hope he doesn't mess me around. I saw quite a few buses there. What colour is yours ?
12-01-2016, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 02:39 PM by Gerard W.)
The white one with blue wheel cover. Mine is an original 2.6 rebuild. We had issues finding parts and I'm not rushing him.

I think yours is now standing next to mine in his front yard.
12-02-2016, 01:50 PM
(12-01-2016 02:35 PM)Gerard W Wrote:  The white one with blue wheel cover. Mine is an original 2.6 rebuild. We had issues finding parts and I'm not rushing him.

Ok, yes I saw it there. I am pushing him to complete before Jan, as we wanted to go away the 1st week, but lets see what happens.

Are there any gatherings for Syncro chaps in PE ?
12-02-2016, 02:15 PM
(12-02-2016 01:50 PM)KaTooM Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 02:35 PM)Gerard W Wrote:  The white one with blue wheel cover. Mine is an original 2.6 rebuild. We had issues finding parts and I'm not rushing him.

Ok, yes I saw it there. I am pushing him to complete before Jan, as we wanted to go away the 1st week, but lets see what happens.

Nothing regular. Arranged now and again. Last one Ian arranged a play day at Maitland mines. Was great fun.
12-06-2016, 12:36 PM

[/quote]

Nothing regular. Arranged now and again. Last one Ian arranged a play day at Maitland mines. Was great fun.
[/quote]
Done Maitlands many times before, but would like to do in the Syncro. Have you been out at Zookamma yet ? I can arrange with Adventure 4x4 academy. I used to be an instructor with them for years. Some good terrain there.
12-06-2016, 01:42 PM
No, I'm still very new to this. We'll check in the new year when we have our busses back and arrange a play day again.

Frans told me yesterday he found the niggle on my bus' engine and is putting it back together today, so hoping to have it before the weekend.

Its been three months. Patience as I said.