Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Misfire and backfire only when hot!
12-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Misfire and backfire only when hot!
At last I got my bus back from the chopshop, purring like a kitten! Saturday morning packed some things and convinced my dearest that we should go "somewhere". Drove from George to Sedgefield and checked on the water level of the Swartvlei. Maybe I could test my fishing tackle that happened to be in the bus "somewhere". As I stopped next to the river, without any warning the engine started to splutter??, stutter?? misfire?? backfire?? All deurmekaar! I limped, I think on one cylinder most of the time, but withspurts of all cylinders now and then, to the garage to add more fuel (1/4 at the time) just for incase. now with a full tank nothing changed. I one-cylindred to under a tree in the shade where I started to speak to my bus in a language she well understood. My dearest also knows some of the vocabulary. "sell the bl...y thing, sh..house on wheels etc etc. Now my dearest also know that a large ice-cream cool me down and helps with my vocabulary. After about 40 minutes I turned the key for no apparent reason, and what?? she starts up and purred like a kitten. " You should eat more ice-cream" my dearest commented. Into gear and now we drive home as smooth as silk. As I entered Wilderness, with out any reason or indication the same thing happens!! Skop, skiet, ruk en pluk, one cylinder, no cylinder, all cylinders!!! Pull over at the garage under the tree and before I could open my mouth "will get you an ice-cream dear". about 35 minutes later, (the ice-cream was a little smaller than the first one) I turned the key and there she purred like a kitten. Now lets go home. When almost home the same thing happens and I barely make it home. No ice-cream at home so we had a long talk and the bus understands now that the matches and paraffin are not for the intended BBQ. When cooled down she starts and purr as smooth as silk. Through out the whole eskapada I checked the temp gauge, the needle never went over the heat/water indicator light so was never overheating.
PLEASE can anyone shed any light on what the problem could be?? At this time I wish to avoid contact with the "chopshop" if at all possible. PLEASE!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Misfire and backfire only when hot!
Its probably the TCI modual
12-19-2016, 07:34 PM
what motor and fuelling system is fitted, give me a call we can maybe sort it out over the phone, 083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Fuel problem. First check for the easy stuff. A blocked breather, remove the fuel filler cap and see if it runs cleanly. Secondly change the fuel filter in case it's dirty. Next suspect would be the fuel pump or a dirty contact on the fuel pump fuse or relay (behind the right tail light.) But Stuart will talk you through it.
01-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Replaced TCI - no improvement, replaced coil - no improvement. I purchased an aftermarket distributor (complete) about month ago, and can you believe me this was the problem. After replacing it with one from Goldwagen the problem is resolved and I am back on the road!
01-17-2017, 12:24 PM
the one from Gold wagen is also aftermarket, it will give you hassles some time, trust me, use only a genuine VW distributor,

05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Hi guys. As a test, and with a complete commitment to not leaving it in there permanently (/disclaimer :-) I bought a distributor from Goldwagen.

But this thing has the hall sensor on the other end, next to the socket. And looking at when and how the rotating plate makes and breaks the magnetic field, it looks like the sense is inverted or something (rotor points to the right place when the plate is leaving the sensor area I think).

What's the trick to fitting and timing these things?

Thanks!
05-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Hard to say until you tell us what motor and fuelling system you are running, as per my previous request