Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine Cooling
12-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Engine Cooling
Hi all,

After the head gasket on my Ford 3l blew, I installed a VDO oil temp gauge and was quite horrified to generally see the temperature sitting at 135degs. I've spoken to a few of you guys - and nobody seemed particularly concerned as it is apparently reasonably standard. However, all of the non-kombi Ford engine guys keel over with shock when I tell them - considering that the engine design is so old, they all advocate ~90-100degs as ideal.

After a failed attempt to install an oil cooler in the right D-pillar (hardly any temp difference; I don't think I got enough air flow through the pillar despite a fan and duct -likely because of the fuel nozzle?), I've now made some progress (Dean, thanks for the help in kitting me out):

I installed an oil/water sandwich heat exchanger from a golf (part 0271170211), ran 14mm water pipes to the front of the vehicle, installed an electric water pump (Davies Craig EWP115), an expansion container, and mounted an old a heater core (thanks Dean - great idea!!) as an additional radiator in the front (in the bottom opening).

I had to adjust one of the inlet nozzles of the heater core (I used a combination of copper plumbing fittings, Q-bond, and Pratley steel) to make it fit - but sits so flush that it looks as if it were designed for the opening.

Bob's your uncle - with the number plate flap down, temps are now sitting at about 120 degrees. The number plate contributed about 5-7 degs, the additional water circuit about 8-10 degs.

The nice thing about this setup is that if a pipe bursts/comes off/etc it won't affect the existing cooling circuit at all, there are no oil pipes running to the front of the vehicle (in actual fact, there are no additional oil pipes whatsoever).

Apparently there is also an original Ford sandwich heat exchanger, which probably sits better than the golf one... just a question of finding one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2016, 05:56 PM
RE: Engine Cooling
(12-31-2016 12:56 PM)omnimercador Wrote:  However, all of the non-kombi Ford engine guys keel over with shock when I tell them - considering that the engine design is so old, they all advocate ~90-100degs as ideal.

i think the ford guys are confused with water and oil temps, talking from running all of the motors with oil temp gauges, most motors run oil temp at 110 to 140 degrees depending on ambient temps,

my sleeping golf 2.0i runs at 110 to 135, depending on how hard i drive it, i will be adding a remote oil cooler to it soon
1.9tdi runs at 115-130
3ct ran at 120-140 at any time, with a side mounted external cooler it ran 15 degrees cooler, and 20 degrees cooler in the rain ie cooler getting wet
never owned a for V6 syncro,
a friends 2.3i 20valve 5cyl ran at 135 with the cooler in the d pillar, also a big window syncro, added a scoop and it is down to 120.

water temps on the golfs are normally at 90-100 degrees, 3ct was always above 100, normally 110-120, but toyota rates them to run at 115 water temp, just too hot for me.

the cooler idea is great, just watch the golf coolers they tend to crack easily, carry a spare with you,

imho opinion the ford V6 is over revving in a 5,43 ratio syncro, 4600 rpm at 120, and in the syncro the airflow in the engine bay is restricted,

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2017, 08:12 PM
(12-31-2016 05:56 PM)syncromad Wrote:  imho opinion the ford V6 is over revving in a 5,43 ratio syncro, 4600 rpm at 120, and in the syncro the airflow in the engine bay is restricted,

I have an extended 4th (not sure what ratio that means), so I get to 4150 rpm at 120 (GPS speed) - any faster is pointless given the wind resistance in any case. 4600 rpm would, I imagine, build up some serious heat.

Airflow in the engine bay undoubtedly an issue, especially with the extended height of the engine box of the V6 - which explains the big difference when opening the number plate panel.

Has anybody ever tried to build deflectors on the bottom of the engine bay to deflect air into the bay from the bottom (with the number plate then being the outlet)?
01-07-2017, 08:18 PM
They used to use deflectors when the engines in cars were air cooled, interesting and maybe you are on to something.
01-07-2017, 09:26 PM
My thoughts have been two low rev electric ducted fans next to the number plate. Won't that help to get that hot air away from the enjin. ?

Should be a simple operation.