Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windscreen Rubber
03-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Windscreen Rubber
Any opinions on the WAG windscreen rubber? I've read elsewhere that only original will do the job properly but I read it on the internet so am not convinced.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1989 7 seat Caravelle, Graz assembled, 3CT, Floats around Hout Bay.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
RE: Windscreen Rubber
All Goldwagen parts I have purchased have not let me down and are of good quality. I think you are lucky if you find spares for our buses directly from Volkswagen.
03-07-2017, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 02:04 PM by JvB.)
(03-07-2017 01:42 PM)Camperholic Wrote:  All Goldwagen parts I have purchased have not let me down and are of good quality. I think you are lucky if you find spares for our buses directly from Volkswagen.

I was a bit worried as I cut the original rubber to ease the old new screen out without breaking it as I was working alone. The GW rubber has no filler strip but this style seems to be in regular use. I also removed a side window to fix a rust bubble but never damaged anything.

09-19-2019, 11:54 AM
So two years later I refitted the windscreen The Goldwagen seal is a perfect fit. I did the job of refitting the windscreen alone.............very easy and satisfying to see it slip into place as you pull the cord around.

I repaired the rust along the bottom using glass fibre and finished it off by coating the full length of the bottom channel with Durabak. Ponding it out so to speak. That was two years ago and there's no sign of rust so I painted it three days ago and refitted the screen today.

10-08-2019, 11:02 AM
(09-19-2019 11:54 AM)JvB Wrote:  So two years later I refitted the windscreen The Goldwagen seal is a perfect fit. I did the job of refitting the windscreen alone.............very easy and satisfying to see it slip into place as you pull the cord around.

I repaired the rust along the bottom using glass fibre and finished it off by coating the full length of the bottom channel with Durabak. Ponding it out so to speak. That was two years ago and there's no sign of rust so I painted it three days ago and refitted the screen today.

THANKS, good to know...have to do mine too sometime.Cool
10-28-2019, 02:32 PM
I was looking for a new windscreen rubber at the beginning of the month. VW sold their last one in September and the part is now officially discontinued, as is just about everything. Good to know Goldwagen has them. We just re-used my old one, but the idiots that fitted it managed to pull some of the roof lining out when they pulled the cord through. Fortunately, the overhead air con duct hides it, but I know it's bunched and it will have to be done over at some time. I want to replace the headliner anyway, as it is discoloured.