Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Converting Westfalia to 4X4
07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Converting Westfalia to 4X4
I am looking for a VW syncro camper but they are impossible to find and seeing that you lot are the manne with the planne, I was wondering if it is possible to convert a Westy into a syncro or some type of 4X4?

I thought Paul from Syncrohospital converted a Doka but I am not sure.

The second question is just for interest sake. Since syncro parts seem to become harder to find will the time come that these drive trains will have to be modified / adapted to a more common type of 4X4 drive train such as those found in bakkie or suvs? Is this at all possible?

Thanks
Gerrie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2017, 03:00 PM
RE: Converting Westfalia to 4X4
Hi Gerrie,

From what I know of the 2wd to syncro conversation, it would be far simpler to convert a normal syncro into a camper, as I have done (see my thread on " The Graham's camper conversion"). The problem I found with the Westys is that they are all left hand drive. I also think it is possible to make much more efficient use of space and have a more efficient (ie more modern) fridge than the Westys.

Nick

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (in progress!)
07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
@ nickgraham check boet gerts profile , he is in USA so he will have plenty Westys as option to choose from
07-11-2017, 12:33 PM
(07-10-2017 12:13 PM)supervly Wrote:  @ nickgraham check boet gerts profile , he is in USA so he will have plenty Westys as option to choose from
Supervly
I am currently in SA and I am searching for a vehicle to travel SA, Africa, South America and who knows.

I had an awesome Syncro Cox camper that I foolishly sold!!Angry

I saw a couple of left hand drive westys for sale on Gumtree etc but after some research found it unfeasible to operate a left hand drive vehicle in SA.

I wil check out the camper thread for inspiration, thanks

Gerrie
07-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Hi Gerrie,

where did you see LHD Westys on Gumtree? I am looking for one. Can you post a link?

Kind Regards

Lars
07-14-2017, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2017 01:40 AM by clift_d.)
Conversion is certainly possible but it isn't necessarily the easiest option... it really depends on where you're coming from.

If you have a well maintained Syncro then I would say that buying a Westfalia with a blown engine or similar, and stripping the interior to install in your van, would be the best bet.

If you already have a reasonable Westy and can find a parts donor Syncro cheaply then it might make more sense to do the Syncro upgrade to your camper than it would to fix up the Syncro so that you can then put the Westy interior in it.

This is what we did with our Club Joker, but it takes someone with decent knowledge about Syncro vehicles, plus a minimum of around 120 man hours of work to just do the conversion, with any additional restoration work hours over and above that.

Before

After

There's a page here on the website of the garage that did the work all about the conversion process.
08-30-2017, 08:53 AM
(07-12-2017 08:35 AM)Lars Kessel Wrote:  Hi Gerrie,

where did you see LHD Westys on Gumtree? I am looking for one. Can you post a link?

Kind Regards

Lars

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-classic-vint...0001702109