Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rusty feultank
08-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Rusty feultank
Hi guys! Baught a project bus for the alfawagen.
Taking delivery tomorrow?.
Firs thing to be sorted are the feultank wich have some rust inside and clogging the filter regularly. Tank is off at the moment... how do one treat one of those babys?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 12:23 PM
RE: Rusty feultank
Standard (non-synchro)?

We had ours overhauled. Big mistake. A new tank is cheaper and works.
08-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Thanx for the input! Will check out the damage tomorrow and decide whar next..
08-08-2017, 04:59 PM
My fuel tank sprang a pinhole leak. I first blocked the leak with soap then covered the soap with Pratleys Steel putty. It lasted for years but during those years it sprang three more leaks which I fixed the same way. The tank was rusting on the inside and every now and again it would rust right through. So I agree with WRM, unless you are happy to be fixing leaks on a regular basis buy a new tank. I did eventually.

Colin
08-08-2017, 11:44 PM
(08-08-2017 04:59 PM)Oberon Wrote:  My fuel tank sprang a pinhole leak. I first blocked the leak with soap then covered the soap with Pratleys Steel putty. It lasted for years but during those years it sprang three more leaks which I fixed the same way. The tank was rusting on the inside and every now and again it would rust right through. So I agree with WRM, unless you are happy to be fixing leaks on a regular basis buy a new tank. I did eventually.

Colin

Wish i could see inside whats going on. The sender unit sits on the side. Will remove it and try have a look with flashlight. Atleast it's not leaking yet. Might just be dirty. Filter had a layer of muddy/dirty feul at the bottom