Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16" syncros
09-18-2017, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2017 11:21 AM by andersonj.)
16" syncros
How many 16" syncros are known to exist in Southern Africa, i read online that they were never built in RHD form and only 2 are know to exist in SA and 1 in australia.

What were the main differences apart from the trailing arms being larger and cutouts over the arches between the 14" and 16".

Are they worth a lot today regardless of there condition and is it always worth trying to save if found?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2017, 02:08 PM
RE: 16" syncros
Hi,

There are 3x that i know of in SA, i have a LHD Reimo Camper, Henk Dam has a LHD wbx6 westy, and i sold my Rhd 16" about 5 years ago, still in SA, there is also one standing somewher in the cape, also a lhd

i know there is a RHD 16" doka in Lesotho and one in Zambia, i also know that ther is a Lhd 16" doka in Namibia and a LHD high top Reimo camper in Botswana,

stuart
083 629 9951

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-18-2017, 02:21 PM
(09-18-2017 02:08 PM)syncromad Wrote:  Hi,

There are 3x that i know of in SA, i have a LHD Reimo Camper, Henk Dam has a LHD wbx6 westy, and i sold my Rhd 16" about 5 years ago, still in SA, there is also one standing somewher in the cape, also a lhd

i know there is a RHD 16" doka in Lesotho and one in Zambia, i also know that ther is a Lhd 16" doka in Namibia and a LHD high top Reimo camper in Botswana,

stuart
083 629 9951

Are they worth saving if one is found with no engine and gearbox, what would it be worth if everything else is good, can a normal 14" syncro gearbox be fitted?
09-18-2017, 03:53 PM
(09-18-2017 02:21 PM)andersonj Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 02:08 PM)syncromad Wrote:  Hi,

stuart
083 629 9951

Are they worth saving if one is found with no engine and gearbox, what would it be worth if everything else is good, can a normal 14" syncro gearbox be fitted?

Is there a difference between the front diff of a diesel and petrol syncro, for example can a diesel syncro be fitted with a petrol gearbox and have no issues?
09-18-2017, 04:13 PM
"Is there a difference between the front diff of a diesel and petrol syncro, for example can a diesel syncro be fitted with a petrol gearbox and have no issues?"

there are 5x different syncro diff ratios, so one needs to check the codes, and the front diff and gearbox cw and p must match, if not they will break as the wheels turn at different speeds,Sa 14" did, so our 14" is very close to being a 16" syncro,

also SA was one of few places to get double diff lock as standard. every where else they were an option, USA no front difflock option, think they are too stupid to use one,

09-19-2017, 07:53 AM
(09-18-2017 04:13 PM)syncromad Wrote:  "Is there a difference between the front diff of a diesel and petrol syncro, for example can a diesel syncro be fitted with a petrol gearbox and have no issues?"

there are 5x different syncro diff ratios, so one needs to check the codes, and the front diff and gearbox cw and p must match, if not they will break as the wheels turn at different speeds,Sa 14" did, so our 14" is very close to being a 16" syncro,

also SA was one of few places to get double diff lock as standard. every where else they were an option, USA no front difflock option, think they are too stupid to use one,

thanks Stuart, which were more common in SA the 4.86:1 or 5:43:1, what do you think the diesels from overseas came with?
09-19-2017, 09:02 AM
all south african syncro came with 5.43, a few oettinger wbx 6 and ford v6 were modified with the 4.86,

my 16" diesel came with 6.17

09-28-2017, 07:08 PM
All diesel 16 syncro's came with the 6.17 and pertrols with the 5.43. There are a lot more RHD 16 out there than people realise. I know of 5 in Africa and possibly more.