Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
oettinger wbx6
11-15-2017, 02:16 PM
oettinger wbx6
Hi All,

So I have the opportunity of getting hold of an oettinger wbx6 3.2 complete engine and loom and ECU, I have been looking around on the net and cannot find any place actually supplying parts as they are so scarce, what's the chance of being able to rebuild one today and would it make for a pretty decent engine in a syncro compared to the 2.1.

I know the internals are the same as the 2.1 except for the crank, crankcase and heads so replacing a few parts is possible but what about a head gasket for example.
is the fuel injection still the same except for the extra wires for the additional injectors and a different ECU?

Is anyone on the forum still running one?
Would be interested in having one in my syncro just because its a bit special and unique.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2017, 02:52 PM
RE: oettinger wbx6
Old, thirsty, difficult sometimes almost impossible to get parts, very underpowered for size compared to newer engines. It it's day it was fine like the 3l ford but a newer VW 1.8t will out perform this dinosaur in every aspect. Personally feel they aren't even worth being a paperweight.
Sorry if it all sounds a bit harsh but they are the facts.
Russel
11-15-2017, 03:02 PM
(11-15-2017 02:52 PM)Russel Wrote:  Old, thirsty, difficult sometimes almost impossible to get parts, very underpowered for size compared to newer engines. It it's day it was fine like the 3l ford but a newer VW 1.8t will out perform this dinosaur in every aspect. Personally feel they aren't even worth being a paperweight.
Sorry if it all sounds a bit harsh but they are the facts.
Russel

thanks, I know about all the negatives, but I still have a wbx4(which no one likes either) and converting to something newer now is an expensive exercise at this time, and the wbx6 I'm getting for next to nothing, so its a simple job for more immediate power results and if it gives in one day then no big loss.
11-15-2017, 05:22 PM
a few guys still run them, i had one, was great til it dropped me in HammansKraal one night
but as Russel says, they are old and are very unreliable, rings, bearings, pistons and sleeves are all the same as a 2.1i, the ecu is different and they all suffer from a horrible kangaroo action when just off idle, a surging, Afm is also set differently to a 2.1,
personally i would not waste the time or money on fixing or fitting one,
but if you feel like it go for it, your choice at the end of the day

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Note my forum name is 32wbx6! Thought it was a good idea too. Stay away! Cost me time and money, never reliable, even speaking to Oettinger in German in Germany waste of time. No one has spares or knowledge any more.

Some more serious weaknesses:
Will break your gearbox at some stage.
Idle and fuel management extremely difficult to get right.
Crankshaft prone to breaking.
Crankshaft pulley prone to breaking and no replacements.

I never completed one trip with this motor, no matter how meticulous I was with repairing or mainteneance it always broke down before the end of a trip.

Finally put in 2.6 and never looked back. It’s a romantic dream unfortunately that will cost you time money and your sanity.

You can see I still feel strongly about this!

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...