Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
7" Osram LED headlights
01-31-2018, 01:39 PM
7" Osram LED headlights
Good day all,

I've been speaking to Burley from http://burleysmotorsports.com/ regarding the 7" LED headlight units he's selling. Find some specs below:

https://burleymotorsports.net/product/headlights-7-osram-leds/

OSRAM CHIP 7” Led Headlight

Specification

Simple installation - Plug & Play & LED Canbus & H4/H13 Adapter or less
Watt: 50W
Input: 12-24V DC
Operating Voltage: 10-30V DC
Luminous Flux: [email protected] beam, [email protected] beam
Connector: H4/H13 (Ground and High Beam)
Housing Material: Aluminum
Lens Pattern: High & Low Beam

Basically, he's offering a nice discount if I buy 4 sets from him and will let them go at $200 a set, with $210 shipping for the 4 sets. I'm looking for 3 other individuals who'd like to buy a set with me.

His normal asking price is $250 + $110 shipping, so we'll each save around $100.

Please let me know if interested.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2018, 02:21 PM
RE: 7" Osram LED headlights
So these lights being for the US market dip to the right. Our lights dip to the left. This could be an issue...
02-06-2018, 09:16 AM
(02-05-2018 02:21 PM)Nico Wrote:  So these lights being for the US market dip to the right. Our lights dip to the left. This could be an issue...

Very good point. I've sent enquiry.
02-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Very good point. I've sent enquiry.
[/quote]

I've Spoken to Burley, he says the lights are neutral, meaning they don't favour left or right hand drive vehicles.

I suppose it's preferable to have lights which favour one side, though I think it won't bother me all that much.
02-09-2018, 09:02 PM
I suggest you make absolutely sure that these lights are suitable for RH drive.....
I don,t think so....
There will most likely be legislative requirements;
It might not bother you but it will most likely bother the oncoming traffic.

I am saying all this because i also bought a set of headlight overseas from a country with LHD Vehicles.
I was aware of the potential issue and ask the sales person if those light are suitable for RHD vehicles as well.
Well, that guy also say NOOOOu Problem the height can be adjusted.
Well he did not say or know that there are difference in the actual lense for LHD and RHD vehicles.
So before buying them rather make sure that they are suitable for RHD vehicles.
02-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately LED Headlights are not legal in SA unless as OEM fitted in a new vehicle that has been correctly homoglated by the authorities.
02-15-2018, 08:26 AM
@Picasso, thanks, I've also done some further research and the numbers aren't adding up. DOT approved lights have a certain profile, so I'm unsure if the lights can be both DOT approved and have a flat profile. I've asked for the supplier to clarify.

@jms_snuggs, I've tried to find the relevant legislation but couldn't find anything which prohibits the use of aftermarket LEDs.. permitting they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. This is what I found:

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and...umentation

What is interesting with above is that it appears though a centre mounted LED bar is also legal, which previously I thought wasn't the case.
02-15-2018, 10:11 AM
(02-15-2018 08:26 AM)Jacobus Wrote:  @Picasso, thanks, I've also done some further research and the numbers aren't adding up. DOT approved lights have a certain profile, so I'm unsure if the lights can be both DOT approved and have a flat profile. I've asked for the supplier to clarify.

@jms_snuggs, I've tried to find the relevant legislation but couldn't find anything which prohibits the use of aftermarket LEDs.. permitting they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. This is what I found:

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and...umentation

What is interesting with above is that it appears though a centre mounted LED bar is also legal, which previously I thought wasn't the case.
Thanks for the info, I never realized that you were in SA Aus, I was talking about South Africa.
02-16-2018, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 01:14 PM by Nico.)
(02-15-2018 10:11 AM)jms_snuggs Wrote:  the info, I never realized that you were in SA Aus, I was talking about South Africa.

He's not in Australia. His profile info says he is in Middelburg. If he is quoting Australian legislation, that wouldn't necessarily apply here.

I haven't got time to go through this whole list now, but this website at the Road Safety Authority has a number of documents relating to vehicle lighting in South Africa.

[url= http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/Search-Resu...y=lighting[/url]
02-17-2018, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 04:32 PM by Jacobus.)
Hi, yes sorry, I'm just South African that can't read. I thought it suspicious that the info was so easy to come by and that they referenced Aus regulations. I just assumed that they decided to piggy back on their regulation to make things easier.

I've since found some SA regulations, but nothing complete.