Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My 1989 Syncro - My introduction
03-06-2018, 08:08 PM
My 1989 Syncro - My introduction
Hi guys

I'm new to the Syncro forum. My name is Sean, I live in Somerset West and I have been crazy over kombi's my entire life. It started with aircooled's and they are still my all time favorite. I have been collecting splitwindows and baywindows for many years and have in the last while been adding some T3 kombis to my collection.

This is my latest addition and I must say it is really nice to drive. I have wanted to add a Syncro for some time, but didn't want one that was rusty and looked like it was driven around the world a 100 times. I also fancied the 2 tone paintwork and blue upholstery. I wanted one with the original motor still fitted, but this one does drive rather nice with this Audi V6 motor. It's a pity it also no longer has the original 14" wheels and the casette player has been replaced with a modern CD player, but these can be reversed. This bus really has a nice solid body which was my number one criteria.

There are many questions I have, but I will post in a different thread later.

Cheers
Sean
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2018, 06:47 AM
RE: My 1989 Syncro - My introduction
HI Sean

Welcome , you will find this forum has a wealth of great knowledge .
I stay I somerset west too and have seen a few buses in the area If I am not mistaken that used to be Hans' van
Anyways hopefully hook up soon - enjoy
03-07-2018, 06:55 AM
Was it not parked at Tuffex Brackenfell during this week? There are a few busses in that warehouse on selves.
03-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Yes, Tuffex Exhausts is my spot and I have been driving the Syncro to work.
03-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Welcome. Please post pics of your other Kombi's.
03-07-2018, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2018 09:41 PM by Sean Syncro.)
Ill post a few pictures at a time and when I get to searching for them and resizing them. I will start with the T3's.

Here is my 2001 2.6i Caravelle. This is probably my personal favorite T3.

This is my 1994 Volksiebus converted to a Cocks camper. It has its original 1.8 golf motor as fitted from the factory. It is however a rubbish engine in a kombi and a real let down compared to the 2.5i and 2.6i. The Cocks camper interior is a really well planned out camper.

03-08-2018, 02:41 PM
(03-07-2018 09:32 PM)Sean Syncro Wrote:  Ill post a few pictures at a time and when I get to searching for them and resizing them. I will start with the T3's.

Here is my 2001 2.6i Caravelle. This is probably my personal favorite T3.

This is my 1994 Volksiebus converted to a Cocks camper. It has its original 1.8 golf motor as fitted from the factory. It is however a rubbish engine in a kombi and a real let down compared to the 2.5i and 2.6i. The Cocks camper interior is a really well planned out camper.

Nice interior.
03-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Wow Sean, what a collection!

I am very envious!

The Cox camper looks really interesting, I haven’t ever seen one in the flesh, what are the camper units constructed out of? How did they strengthen the monocoque once they cut out all the roof bows? Must be great not having to duck all the time! Did they do the Cox camper with the 5-cylinder motors too? I imagine the larger engine bay of the bigger engined models must have complicated the camper build somewhat.

Neil
03-15-2018, 07:37 AM
(03-11-2018 02:31 PM)412s2 Wrote:  Wow Sean, what a collection!

I am very envious!

The Cox camper looks really interesting, I haven’t ever seen one in the flesh, what are the camper units constructed out of? How did they strengthen the monocoque once they cut out all the roof bows? Must be great not having to duck all the time! Did they do the Cox camper with the 5-cylinder motors too? I imagine the larger engine bay of the bigger engined models must have complicated the camper build somewhat.

Neil

This is one of the later models which is a full fibreglass construction, roof, cupboards, the lot. The earlier ones from the 70's in the baywindows and 80's T3's were constructed with the same layout, fibreglass roof but were build with wood and a type a wall paper covering like used in caravans.

There is no extra bracing to the chassis. The roof is also not cut all the way to the gutters, more like a big rectangular cutout in the middle. The autovilla's in the baywindows were cut right down to the chassis and included even cutting the cab roof off and also don't have any extra bracing to the chassis.

There is a packing space between the bed level and the engine bay in my one because of the low engine bay, but these campers were build on 5 cylinders as well, you just loose that packing space.
03-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Sean.

I think the Australian built Trakka campers also had a similar big hole in the roof.
[Image: 1980s_Trakka_Brochure_2.jpg]

Photo from http://www.syncro.com.au

British converters couldn’t get VW approval if they removed the roof bows, unless they added some strengthening.

It was interesting to read about the Jurgens Autovilla too, I didn’t realise so much metal was missing. I’ve never seen the bare chassis of an Autovilla and the only photo of a bare T2 Karmann I’ve seen is this one I found on http://www.thesamba.com

[Image: 5693774.jpg]

I don’t know if this one came with an overcab bed or just a roof rack.

I noticed in the Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz book “VW Transporter and Microbus, Specification Guide 1967 - 1979” that option M575 is listed as “Preparation for construction of Campmobile by Jurgens-Caravan in South Africa or Karmann Mobile in Germany”
So I guess they weren’t cut down as such, but made that way in the first place?? Is that right?

Have you seen the photos on VW Pix of the bare T3 chassis that was used by Karmann and others? http://www.vwpix.org/T3/Prospekte/deutsc...index.html