Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
That bl??dying bush!
08-09-2018, 08:38 PM
That bl??dying bush!
Hi guys, I had this fantastic exercise of changing the starter bush in the bellhousing. My first one, nobody told me that the thing needs to be saturated with oil, so I was so bright to use super glue when fitting it... That one last about 6 seconds and back to square 1. My second one, the guys from Goldwagen had a great time to explain to me why not superglue. So I used oil, I couldn't press it through between my thumb and first finger, so I boiled it in oil thinking that should penetrate the bush and used a little bit of grease to lube the bell housing hole. That lasted 4 starts and back to square 1. Now, I am really gatvol and decided to buy the bush get everything ready and call out my favorite vw mechanic to come and show me how to do the job. Bush cost R40 and callout fee about R250, smart thinking hey!

Sent from my BGO-DL09 using Tapatalk

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with youWink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2018, 04:15 PM
RE: That bl??dying bush!
Hi Chris,

I'm interested to know, how did you know the bush failed? What were the symptoms?
08-18-2018, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2018 08:28 PM by ChrisWanzenbergh.)
(08-14-2018 04:15 PM)Jacobus Wrote:  Hi Chris,

I'm interested to know, how did you know the bush failed? What were the symptoms?
Jacobus, at first the starter seems to slip. Then one in three times I experienced that horrible noise when started, sounds like a explosion taking place when one start. And then the starter slip. Sometimes the starter would get stuck and it sounds like a flat battery, then a moment after the engine starts like nothing. Anyway, I took the starter of after the second day of problems and let it get checked, the autolec told me to look at the bush.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with youWink
08-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Thanks... that actually sounds very similar to what I experience every now and then. It usually helps if I shift into and out of gear a few times. I'll have to check it out.
08-19-2018, 08:22 PM
(08-19-2018 02:19 PM)Jacobus Wrote:  Thanks... that actually sounds very similar to what I experience every now and then. It usually helps if I shift into and out of gear a few times. I'll have to check it out.
I suggest, do it quickly, I lost two teeth on the ringgear in my great adventure. I know now one have to respond if the warnings there.