Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Outside South Africa Syncro's
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Re: Outside South Africa Syncro's
hi john,
syncro's are cheap, we can't afford suby's and rav 4's.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Cheap Ha Ha! I have spent enough money on my Syncro through the years to have been driving a Porsche Cayenne I think, not that I'd want to, ok maybe just a bit now and then :lol:

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
Find all posts by this user
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
i am sure it is still less than the suby, just wait until that is out of warranty and stuff needs replacing, and the suby wont go off road where your syncro will, can you see your suby with a wheel a metre in the air

09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Can't see my Suby with wheel a meter in the air considering the body creaks a bit just while cornering hard! Don't get me wrong, bar a Nissan Patrol or the likes I don't think there is much to match the versatility of a Syncro.

Like you I have has buses of oner type or another since in my twenties (God that seems a long time ago now) you know aircooled 1.6 etc! I enjoy other vehicles but I have a relationship with my Syncro Big Grin (and like a good wife or boat they just take maintenance!)

Actually on a serious note, I have only become frustrated with the Syncro thing since letting Helmut talk me into a wbx6. Nice motor but we all know the issues surrounding them and I really want my Syncro back to reliable and capable to go with confidence into Zambia etc. I'm not sure yet whether I trust the 6. Anyway I'll drive it and if it pops one day I'll put in Golf or suby or something. I just hope I'm not stranded towing something somewhere hard to get back from! And I know, the best4x4's get seriously stuck too, I have towed a brand new Jeep back from Moz before and towed best4x4's off beaches too as I'm sure you have as well!

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
lets see what the suby does in mine, i think it will be reliable.

09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the slow response. Been a few weeks since I got the email asking us to post, just been really busy. Here is my 87 Syncro High Top camper conversion. Original exported to Canada, then converted by a company call "Get-Away". I picked her up in Kelowna, British Columbia from the Captain of the Canadian Ski Team who used the 4x4 to navigate the snow banks. Kelowna is on the shores of the Okanagan Lake, home of the Ogopogo Lake Monster (like the Loch Ness Monster) so I call her Naitaka. This is the Native American name for the Lake Monster (Salish: n'ha-a-itk, "lake demon")
[attachment=3]
She came with the original 2.1 Volkswagen Wasserboxer engine, minus all the North American smog BS. But I have a new Volkswagen 1.9 Turbo Diesel with inter-cooler waiting to be installed. In the mean time I have had custom front and rear bumpers + Nerf Bars done by Steel Nutz.
[attachment=2]
[attachment=0]
Redone the front with New Tubular Control Arms + Coil Over Shocks, Rear suspension added 16" Trailing Arms and Custom Coil Springs from Burley's Motorsports.
[attachment=1]
Also from Burley's I added a custom Drive Line with rebuildable/greasable U-Joints and Heavy Duty Drive Line Rails. Put on 16" Custom Wheels with BFG TA/KO tires. In the wings I have Small Cars Rear Brake conversion kit, 930 CVs, a Custom Big Brake setup for the Front, South African Aux Fuel Tank. I have a second Drive Train to rebuild and install once I figure out what gearing changes I want to make. My Syncro came with both front and rear lockers, but I will be adding a set of Peloquin's Limited Slip Locking Differentials and a De-coupler. Will finish up with a new coat of paint and a few other odds and ends I want to add. Currently Naitaka lives in Orange County, Southern California, but eventual when complete I will be driving her to my retirement home in Costa Rica, Central America. There hopefully I will be able to enjoy exploring Central and South America in her for a long time to come.

David Halley
87 Syncro High Top

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Side2a.JPG (Size: 10.98 KB / Downloads: 35)
.jpg  05202010098.jpg (Size: 466.44 KB / Downloads: 34)
.jpg  Coilover3800motor007.jpg (Size: 54.96 KB / Downloads: 34)
.jpg  05092010080.jpg (Size: 516.96 KB / Downloads: 34)

David Halley
87 Syncro High Top
09-19-2011, 12:08 AM
That looks awesome man!

I'm on the same page on mine,have to finish the preparation,and drive down to Nicaragua.

Do you surf?

Bye!
09-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Fer Sure, hit the surf anytime I can when down South. Da Kine waves by Manuel Antonio and bombin in a bowl by Plya Esterillos. Have to watch for the Noahs though.
[attachment=0]

If your kama`aina are you planning on teaching your Syncro to swim? Nicaragua is outside!

Mahalo

Attached File(s)
.jpg  SurfHermosa3.jpg (Size: 53.54 KB / Downloads: 31)

David Halley
87 Syncro High Top
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Derek v d Merwe 92 Syncro SAC conversion

Attached File(s)
.jpg  DSC02600.JPG (Size: 1.31 MB / Downloads: 25)
09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Comfort traveling any terrain in Namibia

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Picture 359.jpg (Size: 535.36 KB / Downloads: 26)