Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plastic water pipes
08-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Plastic water pipes
I own a 1997 2.6i Caravelle and need to replace the plastic water pipes running from the radiator hoses to the engine hoses. Does anyone have any idea where i can still get these?
Any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards

Godfrey
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2019, 11:33 AM
RE: Plastic water pipes
Hi... not sure about the plastic pipes, but please see link to thread below:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto...t=galvanic

Botom line - consider using rubber hose.
08-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Tks Jacobus.
10-28-2019, 02:24 PM
The plastic water-pipes are more likely polyurethane which is quite tough. Is it just the metal inserts in the ends that have corroded and are leaking? I'm sure they could be removed and replaced with stainless steel.
10-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Hi Nico.

Had stainless steel piping made up. Appears to be working well.
10-28-2019, 08:14 PM
(10-28-2019 07:13 PM)Godfrey Wrote:  Had stainless steel piping made up. Appears to be working well.

Was that stainless steel front to back? What did that cost if i may ask?
10-29-2019, 05:53 PM
(10-28-2019 08:14 PM)Nico Wrote:  
(10-28-2019 07:13 PM)Godfrey Wrote:  Had stainless steel piping made up. Appears to be working well.

Was that stainless steel front to back? What did that cost if i may ask?

Hi Nico.
Unfortunately I cannot give you the proper figure as i was charged less for labour but also had other work done so the labour charge was not only for the piping. And my mechanic managed to get the piping for free due to all the business he passes on to the supplier. However, the rubber hoses which we used to get around the sharper bends at the petrol tank cost R750. Could not get the bends right at the petrol tank.

It was a time consuming process that i know.

He did say that someone else approached him recently to do the same and he quoted R12000. Obviously this covers the cost of stainless steel, bending, rubber pipng and labour and a loading for the irritation factor of the job i would imagine.

I have been with him for many tears, spent lots of money, passed on business to him so i got a special.
10-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I have concerns about my water hoses. I have had the vehicle for close on ten years now and the hoses could be twenty or thirty years old - I have no idea. So I can't say I have any faith in them and the last thing I want is for a hose to split in rush-hour traffic far from home. I have a set of plastic pipes that a friend passed on when he replaced his. The metal inserts in the ends are corroded. I had intentions of fitting new ones but it's a project on the back-burner.
10-30-2019, 06:05 PM
I have had my vehicle since 2010 and this is the second time i have had to replace the pipes. First time i managed to get a new set from VW. I am a bit paranoid about water problems so check mine regularly. Noticed the weeping where the rubber hoses join plastic pipe - insert problem as you stated.

Don't quite understand as i have always ensured enough anti freeze. But anyway such is life with the old combis.