Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Syncros built in South Africa
02-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Syncros built in South Africa
Morning all.
Just some info regarding SA built syncros.. Stuff I have noticed.
Approx 1840 syncros were built in SA from 1989 to 1992. All are 14" syncros. I have not seen a 1993 Vin no syncro.
Small window syncros were made with 2x bodies, the one with 2x sliding door cover aka German body. And the one with left only slider, SA only body. Big window syncros were built from 1990 to 1992, 90 and 91 were mixed in with small window bodies. Unknown amount of big windows were built.. No Vin number differentiation from small to big window.
All SA built syncros have front and rear diff locks as std. Only country to get this, were options everywhere else.
All SA syncros have 108mm rear cv joints, ie like a 16" overseas.
All SA syncros had the 112 hp/82 kw 2.1i wbx motor, except for 5 factory 5cyl syncros, and one factory 4 cyl syncro. I know where 3x of the factory 5cyl syncros are and the 4cyl syncro. 2x of the 5cyl syncros are big window bodies, one is a small window body. The 2x big window syncros have/had 16" rear brakes and 15" wheels.
SA syncros all have the reinforcing plates on the body like a 16" syncro..
There are 3x syncro panel vans that I know of. Rumour are that there were some dokas as well, but I have never seen or found one yet.
SA syncros have a mix of 90 and 98mm front outer CVS, all SA syncros came with 5.43(7/38) ratio diffs, the middle of the 5x diff ratios. Approx 50 Oettinger wbx 6, 3.2 Motors were imported into SA, some were fitted to syncros. Some of these got longer diff ratios.Most SA syncros have aircon and power steering. They came in both microbus and Caravelle trim. All interior trim/material is unique to SA. As with paint as well.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2021, 08:46 AM
RE: Syncros built in South Africa
Very interesting syncromad!

Have you ever seen a German bus converted to double door after the fact? I'm wondering if it requires extensive body modifications or if everything is already in and it's a question of cutting and fitting....
Find all posts by this user
02-07-2021, 08:53 PM
Hi, never seen one here, there is a Lhd, double slider syncro in the western cape.. It is an ex German fire bus..

LHD parts to convert are very hard to find locally.

02-10-2021, 08:33 AM
Interesting read
My Syncro I bought from the mayor of Suspension City, Alan @ 4 Aces in about 2005 or thereabouts
The nomenclature on the back of the bus was 2.5i and the front doors had Oettinger plates on them.
Alan informed me that the bus was fitted with a "bigger" motor but that it had conked out so they fitted it with a standard 2.1 boxer motor.
Would be interesting to find out some history on my bus and if it was in fact one with a stronger motor or not...…….
Any thoughts Stuart on how one could go about this?
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2021, 08:22 PM
There were Oettinger conversions available from Lindsay Saker Motors.

2.5i wbx was a bored and stroked 2.1i wbx.

There was also a 3.2i wbx6, flat 6 version of the Oettinger motor. Apparently about 50 wbx 6 were brought into SA..

Hope this helps a little..