Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running hot?
09-15-2021, 06:56 AM
Running hot?
2001 Microbus 2.3i, the expansion tank, cap (Blau brand), rad fan switch and thermostat (was in a vw box but i have a feeling it is non genuine) have been changed. New coolant in the system and i think i have bled it sufficiently. The fan works on both low and high speed.

Vehicle is located in Seychelles where the temperature is around 33c. On normal town driving once heated up the needle on the temperature gauge is at 2/3 so quite a bit past the led. The low speed fan will come on just a bit below 3/4.
Is this normal behaviour?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2021, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2021 12:04 PM by g60pops.)
RE: Running hot?
Just removed the thermostat to check the make of it, it appears to be Calorstat and made in France.
09-15-2021, 04:27 PM
Geez, that does seem hot. My first suggestion would be to check that your gauge is reading accurately. A simple way to do this is to fire an infrared thermometer at the block and check the temperature (during COVID these things re everywhere!). Some experts here will tell you what it should be, but I found when my cooling system was functioning correctly (temp needle just to the left of the LED) it was around 85-95 degrees Celcius.

1989 2.0i Syncro Camper (Gogo)
09-16-2021, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2021 10:47 AM by g60pops.)
I have been checking the temperature with an ir thermometer and getting temperatures in the high 90s C at the expansion coolant tank and at the block. The returning coolant pipe was around 93/94 C.
At this point the gauge would fluctuate between 2/3 to 3/4 on the scale, this is with it sat on idle and revving now and again.
So with normal driving the temperature needle should be in the middle over the led?

When i removed the thermostat to check the make, i verified that it is working by putting it in hot water and then transferring it to colder water.

I am hoping that i have not fully bled the coolant system and this is causing the higher temperature.
I also replaced the coolant temperature sender for another genuine VW part incase it was causing the gauge to read higher but it made no difference.