Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
golf engines
03-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Re: golf engines
Hi all,

I bought my Syncro with a Toyota 3y (2.0L petrol engine) conversion and I hate it!! I have been speaking to guys who have Syncro's and got the advice
to use a 2.0L (2E) engine with an MP9 system. From reading this section, it seems to be the right advice.

Things that were pointed out to me was:
1) Fair fuel consumption.
2) Good power
3) Parts are freely availabe (even on trips)

Is this the best choice for a heart transplant? Where can I purchase a good engine at a reasonal price?

Herman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Stuart, sorry for the unnecessary question on FI system. I dug up one of your old mails and found it is MP9 on the pic of my syncro. that is the difference between prof and layman....
regards hajo
03-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi hajo

The motor in your picture and the one Thomas talks about is the Remtec/Tiico 2.0i, it is a short block 2.0i motor fitted at 45 degrees, it is not a 2e or agg/ady. it was specially built by Remtec for VWsa, they are nowhere near as strong as the longblock 2E/agg/ady motors. they also suffer from oiling hassles with the slanted installation, you can fit a long block like that as well. it uses a 1.8 block that is bored out and a 2.0 crank

that motor does have MP9 Fi but the older type with a coil and tci, the newer one have a coil pack with built in tci. but basically the same set up.

here is a pic of a 2.0 long block that we fitted last month

stuart

Attached File(s)
.jpg  SDC12993 (Small).JPG (Size: 60.37 KB / Downloads: 163)

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me tagging on to this thread - I've got a regular T25 (1984 1.9l) and the engine's died (again). Instead of taking it back to the people who bodged the job the first two times I'm thinking of replacing the engine with a golf 1.8 or 2.0.

I'm looking for the easiest conversion and if possible the steps involved in the conversion.

A couple of other questions:

- 2004 1.8 for R4500 - is this a reasonable price? If it's the turbo model, could I remove the turbo and fuel injection and just use a regular carb?
- I've just looked at the quote again and he said it was a 2004 model but only 8v (whereas according to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk4">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk4</a><!-- m --> the 2004 should be 16v) - any recommendations regarding MK3 vs MK4?
- Would I need to modify the engine bay (apart from the adapter plate, engine mounts etc that are in the conversion kit)?
- Are any special tools required?

Any assistance or advice would be most welcome.

Cheers, Michael
04-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi Michael,
Read this comprehensive post by Carl
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.syncrosa.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=672">viewtopic.php?f=23&t=672</a><!-- l -->
It seems that this is why I am going to ask Stuart to do a conversion for me.
Philip

I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name
04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Hi michael. give me a call i an can give advise on what to do. best would be to get the job done professionally by some one like frans in Uitenhage, he can do a complete job for you.

call me on 083 629 9951

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi Philip, Stuart,

Thanks for the replies and the link to the 'how-to' - Stuart, I'll call you after the weekend.

Many thanks, Michael
06-27-2012, 07:34 PM
hello

Im installing a vw 2.0l 8v and would like to know what water pipe goes where
Had a look on the photos but cant really get a clear picture.
Or if someone can put on a picture that shows what goes where. please!

Thanks
johan
08-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi Johan,

Has anyone answered your question yet? I might be able to assist as I am also doing the same conversion. Hopefully this Saturday I am taking my bus for a test drive. Was busy with the waterpipes last weekend.
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
hi lowveld rider
No reply but had a look at all the pics i could get on three net and connected them
I would appreciate if you can explain or send a picture how you did yours.
The doka is not here at home gone for wiring, but is taking 3 weeks now, beginning to regret that i didn't just took it to Stuart!
Then the only thing left to do isbleeding brakes,clutch, exhaust and wheel alignment.
All the best with the test drive !!
We did a v6 convertion on the red bake bus took a test drive and the front waterpipe blew off and the temperature gauge got stuck at 80*c and overheated!!
so make sure everything is tightened up!!