Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lubrication
09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Lubrication
I am concerned about my engine oil getting dirty very quickly (2.5i, K-jetronic).
The engine has was overhauled about 10 000Km ago, I checked the intake system for leaks. It has also been dyna-tuned, so I am assuming mixture is correct. Nevertheless, oil gets black very quickly when compared to my other petrol cars - even the Buggy which doesn't even have a filter!
I use well known multigrade and do oil changes every 10 000 Km.
Should I worry?
Is it worth the extra cost to convert to synthetic?
Talking about oils, and taking into account the potential costs (and scarcity of parts) involved in repairing transmissioin/diffs, is it worthwile to also change to synthetic in the tranny / front diff?
If so, what do you guys recommend? Pierre, you can probably shed some light....

It's not just a 4x4, it's a Syncro........
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Re: Lubrication
Hello!

for the transmission,the best oil to use is Swepco 210.

For the engine,I don't know much,I usually put any oil 15W40,I live in Hawai'i,so it's hot too Smile
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Silly question perhaps, Hawaii is an island right? How big is it? Do you have lots of mountains etc, what is the terraine like? Some pics would be of interest. John

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
09-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Hello!

Hawai'i is an Island but also an archipel of many island,so it's confusing.

The island of Hawai'i is called Big Island,it has two big volcano mountains,full of lava and trails,I've been there with a rental Jeep,that was fun,that was the only time of my life I drove a 4WD.It was forbidden on contract,but hell,it was tempting :lol:
I live on O'ahu island,where Honolulu the capital is located.
There is only one spot to do little offroad,a road along the shore....
All the other places are gated,only hunters or military have the keys.I still don't understand how hunters got the keys,sounds like a mafia..... :x

Maui island is also great on some places,I think Maui Built and Metal Mullisha are Maui offroad brands.I've never seen where,I'm more into surfing :mrgreen:
I'm building the syncro to get down to south america,and maybe settle down in central america on the way back.
[youtube]uIEGT9xQ0yc[/youtube]

[youtube]CF-0IvT716M[/youtube]
09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for that info and the vids! maui is where some famous people stay i think. I am very envious of you doing south and central america! Just you or do you travel with a wife/girlfriend or freinds? When you say "settle down" in central america, you mean live and work there?

Syncro, Sailing, Subaru, Scuba Diving, Surf, Sun, South Africa...
09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Hello!

yes I plan on doing it with my girlfriend,I hope she won't be too much of a whinner.....

I want to buy a land in Nicaragua,not far from the beach to surf with no f...g crowd,and live the way I want:tree house,full solar,garden.
I'd like to make a camp for people who want to stop by with the rigs to camp on the property,there's quite a lot of people doing that trip,and a bungalow camp for tourists environmentally minded.
I'm getting there,just have to finish the syncro,and I'm gone.

Bye!
09-12-2011, 09:54 PM
sounds like a great idea, i hope it all works out, good luck.

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Thank you:fingers crossed,but it's coming along good,you never know until you try.

The first step was leaving France,living in my van,now I live in a house and work for giving birth to the syncro :-)