Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VW 2.0l(2E) Carb to FI conversion
10-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Re: VW 2.0l(2E) Carb to FI conversion
That sound perfect, have you had a fuel pressure tester on the "in" line ? You should have at least 2.5 bar there ,I usually just clamp the return with a small vice and take the car for a drive the difference should be noticeable when driving.I hope this helps it looks like you guys have pretty much checked and rechecked everything so im just throwing out what pops to mind here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Splitfan Wrote:That sound perfect, have you had a fuel pressure tester on the "in" line ? You should have at least 2.5 bar there ,I usually just clamp the return with a small vice and take the car for a drive the difference should be noticeable when driving.I hope this helps it looks like you guys have pretty much checked and rechecked everything so im just throwing out what pops to mind here.

Thanks, will try that after work. I'm also out of ideas.
Find all posts by this user
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Splitfan Wrote:That sound perfect, have you had a fuel pressure tester on the "in" line ? You should have at least 2.5 bar there ,I usually just clamp the return with a small vice and take the car for a drive the difference should be noticeable when driving.I hope this helps it looks like you guys have pretty much checked and rechecked everything so im just throwing out what pops to mind here.

Splitfan... jou doring Big Grin

I clamped the return fuel pipe and it made a dramatic improvement. The improvement is enough to let me believe this is the problem.

OK, in light of the above I swopped the fuel pumps with one I got from Francois. No change. The problem is still there and only clamping improves
the situation.

I then swoped out the requlator on the back of the fuel rail. Still no change.

So, what now? If I clamp the return pipe the pressure obviously go up and the system works. I am right to say then that the pump is fine? When clamped it can preduce the pressure.

I thought the fuel pressure regulator must be the culprid, but what is the chances of having 2 faulty ones.

Any ideas?

Things are looking up Big Grin
10-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Considering my previous post, can it be the injectors. CAn they be blocked?
10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Herman

to check take the fuel rail out and spin the motor with the dizzy disconnected, see if they all inject about the same.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM
syncromad Wrote:Herman

to check take the fuel rail out and spin the motor with the dizzy disconnected, see if they all inject about the same.

stuart

Will try that Stuart, by disconnecting the dizzy, do you just mean pull the coil lead out, or unplugging the 3 pin plug on the side?

Thanks Stuart
10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Good news Herms now we are cooking with gas !If you have a metal rail I can almost gaurantee the rail is cracked (the inner tube brakes loose from the outer) fuel takes the route of less resistance and rather go's back to the tank than to go via an injector , swap the rail out and let us know Wink
10-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi Herman

either but all you want is no spark with fuel flying around, rather unplug completely, what jacques says makes sense!

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
10-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Splitfan Wrote:Good news Herms now we are cooking with gas !If you have a metal rail I can almost gaurantee the rail is cracked (the inner tube brakes loose from the outer) fuel takes the route of less resistance and rather go's back to the tank than to go via an injector , swap the rail out and let us know Wink

Thanks Guys.

The fuel rail I got from Dean did not fit and I requested him to sent me another one last week. I haven't received anything yet, I will go and check my mail box later today again.

So I'm stuck untill I get a new rail.

Thanks Guys, I think we solved the problem.
11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I received a replacement fuel rail in the post today. I removed the fuel rail and injectors I used from Stuart and tried the new rail with the injectors I got in the conversion kit. The engine did not want to start at all. After some checking it seems that 3 out the 4 injectors does not work.

I swopped the injectors with Stuarts injectors and the bus fired up immediately.The bus runs as before with no improvement. If I clamp the return fuel line it seems to run as it should. It would seem like the replacement rail is also stuffed. I removed it and can feel the centre part of the fuel rail moving, I think it cracked loose inside.

Just to double check the fuel pressure, I managed to borrow a brand new Bosh Fuel pump(still in its packaging). There was no improvement.

So, if the pump is fine it brings me back to fuel rail or the injectors.