Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SyncroSA 4x4 Club
10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
SyncroSA 4x4 Club
I've had a few inquiries this week as to why we are not registered as a 4x4 club. It seems some people want the benefits of belonging to a 4x4 club. ie radio licence ect

is this something I should look into, would anyone be interested in joining such a club for the benefits and obviously have to pay some sort of yearly subscription ?

please pm me if you do not wish to reply in this thread

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Re: SyncroSA 4x4 Club
Hi Dean

Maybe it is easier to approachan already set-up club, Like the ATV4x4 club, and start a syncro section, 5x of us already belong to them, Paul, myself, Org, Derek, and Jaco.

That way we use their admin etc, and just pay the club fees. they have all the contact for radios etc. i am good friend with the chairman and a lot of the committee. maybe i must approach them. what do you think.

stuart

Btw they love the syncro's and would love more members.

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
10-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Please chat to them and see what they can do
Maybe we can form a small club under them or something like that ...
Also would be nice to know what all the benefits of joining a 4x4 club is

2.6i Syncro Doka 1984
2.5i SSA PlayBus Syncro 1989
2.5i Factory 5 Cylinder Syncro 1991
2.0i Cox Camper Syncro 1989
2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
10-05-2011, 11:44 PM
SyncroSA 4x4 Club
I think a Syncrosa 4x4 club should be formed on it's own exclusively for syncros . Perhaps a bit of research and weighing up the pros and cons should be considered . More imput and ideas from forum members would be appreciated
10-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi Alan and all

i hear what you say, it would be great to have a syncro club, but not to be negative, the syncro fraternity has to many lurkers and not enough doers, they cannot even bother to introduce themselves on a forum and tell us about themselves, so how will they run or even join a club, you need dedication and genuine interest for that. also we are to far spread across the country. try arranging a Saamtrek, it is a real mission to try and get 50 syncro owners together to do something they like and enjoy, going to the dentist for a root canal is less painful, i promise you, i have done it a few times. we should easily be able to get 100 syncro's together for a national Saamtrek and at least 50 for a day out in gauteng, let alone 20 for a weekend away around gauteng. check the responses to the weekends away, no one is interested.

i think the forum is enough for a national syncro "club", no costs etc

benefits of joining the 4x4 ATV club would be the following for Gauteng based people:

They have an admin set up with chairman, secretary and committee etc already in place.
they have a constitution set up already in-place.
they have been running for many years and have a proper set-up for running the club.
they belong to the national off road forum.
they have a monthly 4x4 outing that is arranged by the club with better rates for club members, all around gauteng
access to rust de winter campsite and 4x4 play area. great for a week end away. only 90km north of pretoria
cheaper pricing for members on the RDW bundu trail
way cheaper training prices for the new off-road licence that is coming, you will need a competency certificate to drive off road trails in the future.
good pricing on radio's especially the VHF versions.
good pricing on recovery equipment through the club
a monthly magazine
they arrange trips to places like lesotho etc at very good prices.
they are multi vehicle friendly, and welcome syncro's. they see them as real 4x4's not like other club's, paul and i used to belong to the 4x4club of SA and we always felt like outsiders.

they are a nice bunch of people and club is run well.
they participate in the inter club challenge and have won it for 2 years in a row, even beating the G-wagen club. i took part last year in the ATV club team with my syncro and did better than a lot of other 4x4's.

we had had a few syncro weekend's to RDW and everyone always enjoyed it.

and it is always nice to show others how the taxi can offroad and do obstacles that their real 4x4's can't.

stuart

10-06-2011, 07:36 AM
SyncroSA 4x4 Club
I see you have investigated well I get the point thanks it is a pity though
10-06-2011, 07:55 AM
thanks, but we need to be realistic, i would be nice to have i agree.
i think it is easy just to be part of the whole club and enjoy the outings etc that they offer.

10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
There are a lot of positive benefits to belong to a club. many of them Stuart has already listed. The stigma that is associated with many clubs is an unfair reflection of what currently is happening with these groups of people because in the past we allowed the brandy and coke brigade to become the public image of 4x4 and there was nothing more than extreme 4x4 in the public eye. The old stigmas are no longer fair. Regulation, self discipline, and also that there are now organised places and very professional events which allow us to test our vehciles to the extreme out of ecologically sensitive areas and places where we put the general public at risk off roading and 4x4 clubs in general have changed for the better.

I believe that as Syncro owners we should not form a "Brand conscious" club and that for our members to belong to a club which has the types of people and activities that attract you and your family personally would actually be a positive to this forum. We would have the benefit of the experiences and networking of the Clubs and be an overarching bond between clubs with different focus - imagine a Syncro being an "honarary member" of the Landcruiser Club!!!

I would suggest that people look at who the Chairman of the club is, the dominant members of a club such as the committee members, check out their constitution and then go on at least one day outing with them before applying for membership. This is more important than the specials on tyres or the buying power that any specific club will get you becuase the comeraderie and the expereinces with like minded people overshadows a cost saving on your purchases.
I had the pleasure of belonging to the Tafelberg 4x4 club with Peet Hendricks as the Chairman and we had some fantastic outings with the club and I also learned a lot from my club fellows - the ribbing about "hoe het die donderse taxi dit gemaak tot hier" was also always good fun.

Stuart is also correct in the setting up of a club from scratch and sustaining the mechanisms to keep the club running, far better to link in with a reputable club that is already set up and perhaps even has ties with the national body, the AAWDC.

Long live the Syncro Forum(s) :ugeek:
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I think we should be sure what benefits we would get. One mentioned above was radio licences. member of the 4x4 community forum and was looking for handheld radios. I went through their posting and came up with the following :
*Big problems getting radio licences even as a club.
*Technical members did pretty thorough research on hand held, licence free radios UHF and came up with Kirisun and Bosvark. Performance not far behind VHF (must have licence)
*Club favourably disposed to recommending the the licence free radios for most members use.
Am buying 5 Kirisun's for group trip Botswana.
Conclusion we can probably find most of what we want through other sources so be sure the benefits are real. Syncro members are their own band of fanatics and probably don't need the added 4x4 behind their name
Ghandi
Find all posts by this user