Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Swimcro Spec's
10-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Swimcro Spec's
I've seen the YouTube video and I would like to hear details from Stuart about this "bad weather package" that was mentioned?

How capable is the STD 14" Syncro?

I was going through a very little puddle compared to the Swimcros and had issues keeping water out of the distributor cap... ;-(

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Re: Swimcro Spec's
hi izan

The swimcro is a diesel for starters, it had a toyota, 2.2 3ct, and a properly sealed external snorkel, the thing with a diesel is to keep water out the intake, that is all you need to make them water proof.

as for a 2.1, the motor is very low so hard to keep water away from the electronics, as soon as they are wet you have problems with a petrol motor, once dry they will run again. i have drowned a 2.1 where we had about 3-4 litres of water in the oil, the ecu was full of water, dizzy and aircleaner soaked. we let the syncro stand for about an hour, drained the water out the sump, poured the water out the ecu let it sun dry ,same with the dizzy and aircleaner, 2 hour later it was running again.

an upright Golf motor or 5cyl will be better than the 2,1 for water crossings, as the motor stands more upright, here are 2x pics of the limpopo crossing in Dec last year.

but we have crossed similar depth water with 2.1's, Okay a little shallower and much shorter, trick is to get a boew wave and keep a cinstant speed, the vehivle pushes the water away from the car causing a hollow behind the car. keeping the engine dry.

stuart

Attached File(s)
.jpg  SDC11560 (Small).JPG (Size: 57.39 KB / Downloads: 129)
.jpg  SDC11565 (Small).JPG (Size: 54.47 KB / Downloads: 128)

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Aweasum stuff SyncroMad

Happy VWing
10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Izan,
I use to have the same problem, but with our last trip to Okavango delta I used a silicon spray on the wiring and distributor cap and did not have any problems. I'm also told that a surgical clove with the ends cut off, makes a good cover for the cap. I have a Ford Sierra 2.0L fitted, though.
Jannie

The choices you make is the life you live!!
10-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Swimcro Spec's
syncro lover Wrote:Izan,
I use to have the same problem, but with our last trip to Okavango delta I used a silicon spray on the wiring and distributor cap and did not have any problems. I'm also told that a surgical clove with the ends cut off, makes a good cover for the cap. I have a Ford Sierra 2.0L fitted, though.
Jannie

That must be the glove everyone talks about...
I was expecting something more advanced "technology wise" ;-)
It does make sense though..

Izan

10-16-2011, 10:17 PM
My 2.1 DJ (swedish/europe spec with the bad roads package) has what looks like a plastic bag covering the dizzy. Looks like it's been there from the factory but never seen another syncro with one. It's quite britle after 20 years though. Guess it would help a bit in smaller puddles..
Will snap a picture if I remember.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Swimcro Spec's
Sebastian Wrote:My 2.1 DJ (swedish/europe spec with the bad roads package) has what looks like a plastic bag covering the dizzy. Looks like it's been there from the factory but never seen another syncro with one. It's quite britle after 20 years though. Guess it would help a bit in smaller puddles..
Will snap a picture if I remember.

Thanks

Izan