2.0i Big Window Syncro 1992
2.6i 2WD Doka 1986
1.9TDI Golf Syncro 1991

"If you dont think syncro's are cool, then you better check your pulse"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Re: Baksteen - My Doka Syncro
Izan, I don't think it's so much a problem of torque as it is my sticky throttle. I need to pull a new tube from front to back. It drives me nuts although it's much better than it used to be. If you try to give a little more petrol nothing happens and all of a sudden there's too much and you back of again and that's what causes the problems. I'll fix it one day. What I do miss is my 2.5 WBX. That thing had torque!

I'm measuring front 538mm from wheel center to wheel arch and 514mm at the back. My cross-member makes my lowest point quite low at 325mm, otherwise it would be around 370mm.

Stuart fitted taxi springs in front with upper control arm spacers and 2 spacers at the back. I also have aftermarket off-road shocks. Not sure of the brand.

[Image: SyncroSignature.jpg]

Life's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Find all posts by this user
01-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Baksteen - My Doka Syncro
I currently measure 285 at my lowest point, that means that you lifted way more than 30mm with Taxi springs?

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
538mm is very high.
01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
EcLiPsE Wrote:I currently measure 285 at my lowest point, that means that you lifted way more than 30mm with Taxi springs?

Izan

If I remember correctly, the shock are adjustable.

I just checked the measurement again and the left is 538mm and the right is 515mm, but it could be because of the 2.6 engine on the back of the DC. It was loaded on the right hand side I'll recheck it when I have offloaded the engine.

01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
hi izan

bernard has adjustable front shocks with taxi springs, they are custom made for me, same as dean has in The SSA playbus

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Stuart can you give us some info on the shocks? Length, travel, etc?
01-28-2012, 07:42 AM
hi ian

will measure a set and let you know.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
02-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I fitted a recovery point on the front a while back and forgot to post a pic. So here it is.

[attachment=0]

I got it from 4x4 Megaworld in Zambezi Drive for R104, which I think is a good price. I fitted where the front sub-frame bolts to the chassis legs.

Do you guys think it's necessary for one at the back and where would you put it? I thought that the towbar frame (not the ball) should be strong enough for a recovery as it's bolted to the vehicle chassis. Any comments?

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Recovery Point - Copy.jpg (Size: 85.25 KB / Downloads: 154)

01-21-2014, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2014 08:13 AM by BHM.)
RE: Baksteen - My Doka Syncro
I thought I'd dust off this old thread. I have done a few things to the doka in the past year like big brakes in front and fitted a decoupler. I would say that is something every Syncro should have. The difference between the normal and big brakes is staggering! Even a heavily loaded bus stops quicker than it did empty with the normal brakes. A worthwhile investment if you are interested in safety while traveling with all your kit loaded.

The decoupler is a nice to have item but now that I fitted it, I wouldn't want a bus without it. Steering is so light and the turning and parking is a breeze.

I also replaced the propshaft in December with a recon unit from Syncro Hospital and suddenly all the funny rattling noises and small vibrations I had have dissappeared. It was a pleasure driving the bus on holiday this December.

Stuart also fitted new 930 chromoly CVs to the rear drivetrain as my old CVs were taking strain with the angles they were forced to work at.

The last addition was this nifty roofrack I bought from my brother-in-law at 4x4 Megaworld in Zambezi. I decided to pop in to say hi and then saw that they had this small African Outback roofrack sitting there all alone. As you might know African Outback is no more, so the chance of getting one of these is very slim, snd it looked so alone that I decided to give it a better home. On the roof of the Doka where it belongs!Big Grin
What do you think? Only problem is getting into parking garages at the shops. Anything under 2.2m and I have a problem.Sad

Almost forgot. I also changed to the round lights. Definitely better than the square ones.