Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
National Saamtrek
02-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Re: National Saamtrek
Hi Chris

I see on google earth that there is a more direct link between Patensie and Steytlerville than going via Uitenhage.It looks like a very nice route and I was wondering if you were considering taking that road from Mvubu?

Has any forum members done it before?Is this the Haaskloof road?

Regards

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Hi

I see Herms referred to it.It is the Grootrivierkloof pass I was thinking of.

Googled the name and it seems to be something of a formal road.

After leaving the saamtrek I am leaving for Mvubu for 2 nights and am looking for the nicest road to drive there.From Mvubu to Hogsback for 3 nights and then 3 nights Barkley East/Lady Grey area to check out the 8 passes area.

I am still looking for the best Syncro Wink route to take from Rhodes via Bastervoetpad to Coffee Bay and remainder of Wild Coast south from there.

I bought Slingsby's maps for the Baviaans and the Wild Coast.Well detailed!

Hans
02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi Hans

Here is a link with some good info for the 8 passes.

http://www.wildmountainadventures.co.za/...73597).htm

Bastervoetpadpass is awesome but check with the locals on current conditions before you leave. It is often closed due to rockfalls. Not many options for the route to Coffee Bay but all are great. Going to be an awesome trip. Give me a call and I can help you with some options around Hogsback.

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi Ian

We have allready booked 3 days in Hogsback,2 at Wildside between Barkley East and Rhodes and tentative one day at Rhodes.

I will bring some maps along to the Saamtrek (I trust you are Ian from East?!)and we can share some notes on getting around?!

Hans
02-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Cool. I can show you a nice route from Hogsback to Barkly East. And if you are flexible a nice detour and overnight on the way to Hogsback.
02-19-2012, 08:14 PM
National Saamtrek
microbus Wrote:Hi Chris

I see on google earth that there is a more direct link between Patensie and Steytlerville than going via Uitenhage.It looks like a very nice route and I was wondering if you were considering taking that road from Mvubu?

Has any forum members done it before?Is this the Haaskloof road?

Regards

Hans

I must warn you that previous planned trips of ours failed due to Google Earth planning, it is a nice tool to do the planning with but roads can be blocked or have locked gates that Google doesnt show...

Izan

You have the Bus, use it, enjoy nature!
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Ja thats why we are leaving that stuff to Ian!

Thanks to Ian we have now got a commitment from SANParks for a 50% discount on the trail at Darlington because we will not be doing the complete trail and we will be staying at the Mvubu campsite. They finally cam back to him on Friday with this info so now we can go ahead and make the booking. I will email the Baviaanstrek group the payment details tomorrow evening after the booking is secured with SANParks.

Well done and thanks again Ian.
02-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Baviaanstrek
Yaaay I have finally booked MVUBU!
We have booked the whole campsite because that just seemed like an easier and more efficient option. Cost as follows:-
R530 for the campsite for the night, up to a max of 12 people.
An additional R28 per person after the first 12 people.
An additional conservation levy of R38 per person per day.
We pay cash at the campsite on arrival.

Thanks to Ian we have a 50% discount on the cost of the trail so that will be an extra R188 per vehicle for the trail.
Anyone who has not stayed at the camp the night before will have to pay an added R38 per person conservation levy.

I must however book the amount of vehicles that will be doing the trail so paleeze confirm with me via e mail <!-- e --><a href="mailto:tecbasic@mweb.co.za">tecbasic@mweb.co.za</a><!-- e --> asap.

We are also able to pay this at the campsite in cash on arrival.

Chris McD.
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks Chris. I'm starting to really look forward to this!

I was doing some work at VWSA yesterday and popped in to see Johan who runs Autopavillion. I mentioned the possibility of us visiting the museum during the Saamtrek. He said if there are sufficient numbers, (20+ I think) he will arrange some snacks and also a factory tour if we want. I'm not sure whether we will have the time but the offer is there.

Ian
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
The trip to the auto pavilion is really worth, make a day and take every there, think they are only open in the week though! bit doff if you ask me!

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Bad planning on your part does not make your issue an crisis to me
Bad workmanship by other garages does not entiltle you to better rates at me
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life