Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
National Saamtrek
02-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Re: National Saamtrek
We need to do a little bit of closer planning for this day then so that we can make everything fit.
How long are we going to take on the trail and how long does it take to do the VW tour?

There have been a few chaps doing homework on the trail because some of the articles suggest that we should rather leave the Syncro at home and use a Unimog - but it would seem that poetic licence and embellishment is painting an untrue picture. The trail by all means is an absolutely scenic drive with some of the greatest examples of wild Cycads and should not be missed by anyone, even if you are driving a Beetle.

The story about the Eastern Cape is why recently i have become very attracted to the area - it is under utilised, and still very unknown and under marketed. Lets not try to make the worst tourist mistake and try to see it all in 5 days - but definitely lets pack in as much of the place as we can - can you give us an idea of the timing between the trail, the VW visit and the practicality of the location between Mvubu and Bruintjieskraal please Ian?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi Chris. I agree. Worst thing is trying to pack too much into a day and not doing anything properly.The trail at Mvubu is scenic and easy. For the most part a 2x4 with difflock will manage it easily. So it's not a thrill a minute kind of trail. You need time to soak it in and relax. I'd say maybe 4 hours. If we got an early start and were on the trail by 08H00 we could leave at roughly 12H00.

The distance from Mvubu to Uitenhage is about 60km. 50 to 60 minutes drive. I personally think a VW factory tour is going to eat up too much of the day. The Autopavilion can be done in an hour. Sure you can spend longer if you have the time but an hour is more than enough to see everything. That takes us to maybe 14H00.

From there it's 80km to Patensie and a further 35km to Bruintjieskraal. An hour and a half's drive. 15H30.

There's also the option of stopping on route at the HiTech factory. If you are a petrolhead as opposed to just a VW nut, I'd say it's even better than the VW museum. Could be an option for just those who are keen as it's roughly on the way and a quick look won't take much longer than 30 to 45 min.

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Heard from someone Baviaans is/was closed recently due to rain/damage to roads?
02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
We had a LOT of rain last year and some of the newly repaired roads were damaged. Also the river between Patensie and Baviaans was flooded for a couple of days cutting off access to Baviaans. This year we've had very little rain so I don't think the info you got was current.
02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Thx Ian!

Was just considering purchasing one of those snorkels sticking out above the roof...

hans
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Big Grin I'm actually hoping we do have some rain before we go. It was really beautiful last year with all the rain we had. I've never seen it looking so green and with so many flowers. This year it's been very hot with not much rain. Which is to be expected; our rainy season is in the winter.
03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
From the Baviaans Saamtrek I will move on to Mvubu,Hogsback,Lady Grey (Wildside),Rhodes,Ugie,Port St Johns south along southern Wild Coast for 10 days.

What kind of weather can I expect for that part of the world?

Hans
03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
You should have great weather this time of the year. Rhodes can be a bit cool in the evenings any time of the year but all those places should be warm and dry. Transkei gets most of it's rain around September.
03-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi ian

My only problem will be the humdity!

At least I have just shaved off all my hair this morning in support of Cancer.Will have to purchase a cap!All for a good cause though.

Hans
03-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Baviaanstrek
If anyone still wants to join us then please let me know, and send me your phone number and e mail address. It is never too late. Actually I am wrong – the 25th is too late!

By popular demand over some of SABs finest the following was decided;-

Tuesday 20th – still to be finalised

Wednesday 21st – Steven will lead the South group to Mvubu from De Rust over the Route T2 to rendezvous with the rest of the Baviaanstrek.

Thursday 22nd – Ian will take the lead for the group that is doing the trail.
Peter will take the lead for the group that will not be doing the trail.
Depending on timing, the two groups will either rendezvous at the VW museum or at Bruintjieskraal.

Friday 23rd – Ian will take the lead through the Baviaans Wilderness area to Doringkloof.
For safety and convenience we will split the group with half of the group that are comfortable at a faster pace departing first with Ian taking up the lead.
The slower group will leave 15 minutes later with me, and we will have 4 meeting places during the course of the day where the 2 groups do catchup.

Saturday 24th – We need a capable volunteer who will either lead a group on a tour to some of the attractions in the valley - or lead the vehicles that want to do a trail from Doringkloof.
I am happy to do either one of the 2 [or stay in the camp and make a potjie, play on the dam, have a compressor race, have a beer tasting] this days activities we can finalise at Bruintjieskraal on the Thursday evening. But it will be good to have a volunteer or 2 who will assist that has also been to places before which can be visited.

Sunday 25th – I will be departing over the trail that comes out in Kareedouw on the R62. This is a 3 to 4 hour drive depending conditions and photo stops.[ he he he I can feel the Kammenassie magnetism and the Monday is not bad timing to tell the boss about a tummy bug!]
Peter will take the ‘sandpad’ which comes onto tar on the N9 between Willowmore and Uniondale.
Hans will be going through the Wilderness area onwards.

I will e mail a final confirmation list next week to the Baviaanstrek group with everyones phone numbers and reconfirm the specific days you have indicated to join with.
If you have a 2 way radio, great, bring it along and please let me know if you do have one. Also what type – whether VHF, 29 meg, micky mouse 2 way walkie talkie or even one of those baby monitor things [or is that VHS or Beta, this electronic stuff I just cant get sorted]