Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need advice on overheating diesel
09-10-2015, 07:15 PM
RE: Need advice on overheating diesel
Before you do that as im in the same boat, im futting a new bigger radiator, I found a racing supplier in jhb, does inter coolers everything, hot4cold universal coolers, the oke there said before I fit all that, I must fit an electric water pump to help boost the water flow makes alot of sense. Will let you know
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Hi AJ,

have all of that, extra pump etc etc, vents , snorkel, airducts, all makes marginal difference to the heat problem,

lots of money spend for very little drop in temp. the guys at Hot2cold, are keen to sell you stuff, but don't really understand the problem, the water pump makes hardly any difference to the overheating.

IMHO you are just wasting money, save the money and do a golf conversion.

stuart

I may be a mechanic, but i can't fix stupid
Syncro, syncro , syncro and more syncro, this is the syncro way of life
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Damit, ill have to drive the diesel a bit longer, till I have the money, whats the golf conversion cost? Is it the gti motor?
09-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Trust me we have tried everything to solve this, but if you want to try please carry on and if you do find a solution let me know, i love my diesel syncro but hate driving it cos of the overheating issues. i would love to use it more.

04-23-2017, 09:44 PM
(09-11-2015 08:44 AM)syncromad Wrote:  Trust me we have tried everything to solve this, but if you want to try please carry on and if you do find a solution let me know, i love my diesel syncro but hate driving it cos of the overheating issues. i would love to use it more.

HI I have been following this site for a while now - finally took the plunge and am now proud owner of Syncro with 3ct motor installed - as all your recommendations go go for the 2l golf motor , I hear you and that is the plan.
What i do want to try in mean time to extend usage of the Toyota motor , this one has extra water pump up front , extra fan upfront and a oil cooler (narrow) in engine bay on the left but no fan blowing air over the cooler , it sits close to the turbo too - if i fit a fan blowing air down past cooler and turbo , will it help expel the heat generated by turbo sufficiently or am I just wasting my time.
04-25-2017, 06:40 AM
@ supervly, if you drive the 3ct syncro slowly like @90, they are ok, it will how ever over heat on any up hill, ie as soon as it gets into heavy boost,

the 3ct motor is designed to run at 105 degrees c, but this is very disconcerting for me,

i eventually took my 3ct out of my syncro last year and fitted a golf 1.9TD, runs cooler, ie like a normal car,

but is still think a golf 2.0i petrol is a better option, we have just finished fixing up AJ's 2.0i conversion, and it runs like a dream,

stuart
083 629 9951