Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oils for the Syncro Transaxle and Differential
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Re: Oils for the Syncro Transaxle and Differential
Sorry but "Synthetic" isn't a thickness. You get synthetic oils in all viscosity ranges. And whatever anybody else says, Helix HX3 is a very average oil. Shell says so. There are plenty of higher specced oils of suitable viscosity that will be much better for the WBX.

Ian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2013, 08:15 PM
I'll second that, viscosity is the range of temp, ie 20w50 15w 80 etc etc. Synthetic oils have varying viscosity's so check what's available. Shell Helix used to be available in what they called an "Ultra" I'm not sure if it's still available. I'm sure if you called them they would be willing to advise as I'm no expert. I will see if I can down load the info from VW on the use of "synthetic " oils in their boxer engines.
Rob.
Find all posts by this user
04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
The 2 main differences between synthetic oils and mineral oil is how they breack down under temperature, this will lengthen or shorten its usable life span. The grade eg: 15/40 10/40 etc is available
over all oils. Synthetics, semi synthetics and mineral oils. Synthetics will also prevent sludge build up etc as they have other addetives in them.
You will always get those who will say use mineral oils in older motors as they were built for them. NO mineral oil was the only thing available then. Technolegy has mooved on significantly since then.
My advice: use the best oil you can afford and dont over rev your engine. On diesels: dont labour it up a mountain pass, change down a gear if needed.
Russel
06-18-2013, 07:40 PM
I quite disagree with synthetic being too thin....They got different ranges..Mobil 1 is quite good and liqui Molly ..superior engine protection..only catch its costly but if u can afford it why not?